**** Nitrogen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I thought I hated Guinness because it is SO flavorless and creamy.

I recently had a Young's Double Chocolate Stout served from a nitro tap.......

I could barely taste it through the crapastic creaminess.

Have a stout you don't want to taste? Get nitro.

NEVER again.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree. Every beer I've ever tried on nitro wasn't as good as it was on CO2/Cask.

Well I'll speak up for nitrogen. While some flavors and aromas are reduced, others are enhanced. It is a completely different profile, but it isn't no profile. You have to go in knowing that it will be different, not worse, but different. Being able to detect and appreciate the more subtle characters of a beer is something we should all work on.

Well I'll speak up for nitrogen. While some flavors and aromas are reduced, others are enhanced. It is a completely different profile, but it isn't no profile. You have to go in knowing that it will be different, not worse, but different. Being able to detect and appreciate the more subtle characters of a beer is something we should all work on.

Fair enough! Truth be told, I am laying off of beer for a month (and hot peppers and salt) to rejuvenate my battered taste buds.

So it may have had a touch miore flavor than I detected, but for a chocolaty beer from the bottle, to flavorless creamy puss from nitro, something is SO wrong.

lol, i really don't care for stouts on nitro, but bitters/pale ales are awesome.

..............Nitro on an ESB??????

whoah. I would try that.

Design beers accordingly! Stouts and Bitters are fantastic served from a stout faucet, but I've had to adjust every recipe to tailor to the stout faucet. In fact my first Pale Ale turned out more like a cream ale. Simplest solution: Increase bittering hops and reduce the use of specialty malts that add sweetness.

I've been working my way towards the perfect Bitter, and Stouts are just fun to play around with (and drink!).

I also like to put beers, regardless of style, on the stout faucet the first day of force carbing before moving it to a standard C02 just to taste the changes.

=)

To each their own. I guess I wanted a little shock value for the Guinness freaks to get pissed off over, thus the harsh title.;)

I won't ever invest in nitro, nor order a nitro stout.

I will try any ipa or bitter on nitro just to see though!

I find that too often beers served on nitro have little/no aroma and a muted flavor as well. But more times than not, I think it has to do with the fact that they are also served ice cold. Let the warm up some and they will come to life. But in general, I like beers better on cask (which the nitro thing was developed to emulate).

When I walk into a good beer bar the first thing I want to know is 'what's on nitro?' and I'm probably ordering it.

Unless it's Guinness that is.

To each their own, but the best way that I can describe it, is that Nitro beer is to beer, what white zin is to wine.

What beer is better when you can taste it less? A CRAPPY ONE.

Nitro is a Gimmick, a sales tool, a TASTE TOOL for BMC drinkers who want their ice cold refreshment to be flavorless.

Screw Guinneess and screw Nitrogen.(that ok Yuri?)

NOT IN MY BEER.

Spanish, maybe when he grows up and his tastes mature he will be able to appreciate subtle things. I think he is in a more is better stage right now and no amount of persuasion by us will convince him otherwise.

So you have had the 2 most flavorless Stouts on nitrogen and you blame the nitrogen? Hah. When I move back to Louisville soon, you will have to taste my Foreign Extra Stout on nitrogen. It's awesome. Creamy, roasty, chocolately, awesomeness. I also occasionally keg and carb it normally to take to parties. It is great either way. If I noticed nitrogen setup muting the flavor of my beer and making it less enjoyable, I would have sold it a loong time ago.

So you have had the 2 most flavorless Stouts on nitrogen and you blame the nitrogen? Hah. When I move back to Louisville soon, you will have to taste my Foreign Extra Stout on nitrogen. It's awesome. Creamy, roasty, chocolately, awesomeness. I also occasionally keg and carb it normally to take to parties. It is great either way. If I noticed nitrogen setup muting the flavor of my beer and making it less enjoyable, I would have sold it a loong time ago.

Granted, It has been a little while since I have had the young's double choc., so I concede, maybe it too is just a crappy beer.(although I remember it being flavorful, but the same could be said of guinness;))

Wish I could taste your FE stout.

I appreciate the practical and experienced reply, maybe one of the first in this thread. Look me up.

:mug:

Back