first batch in bottles and corked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Ok I have a couple of questions...Bought a lot of supplies today including a corker...not crazy about the performance. I was careful but the corks depth was very inconsistent, the grippers that hold the bottle kept sliding up....If i hooked under the rim of the bottle the cork stuck out at least 1/4 inch. ......... That aside I screwed up and forgot to degas some of the wine( fermented completely dry..a shade under 1.000 and steady for a week or more.)......will I have troubles?

Steve, this is pretty funny. I can't wait to see the answers you get as I did the exact same thing last night. I bought one of these two lever hand corkers and by mistake got synthetic corks. They don't compress well enough for that corker to press them in all the way. I improvised a bit. I had a neodynium magnet that was the same diameter as the plunger. I stuck it on the end and it added to the plungers stroke length pressing the corks in til only about 1/8" stuck out. I took a razor and just trimmed that little bit flush with the bottle. Ha! It was only 5 bottles that I am going to drink fairly soon anyhow. Also, I didn't degas it. It's a blackberry / acai wine that fermented out to just like yours, about 1.000. It's been silent for a month now so I'm hoping it'll be alright. A month ago I added pot. sorbate and a campden tablet and stirred it vigorously though. That may have degassed it enough.

Back