Do you get the NFL Network?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you get the NFL Network?

• Yes and it's Free!

• Yes and I gotta Pay.

• No because I refuse to Pay!

• No and Neither does Nader (don't care).

Results are only viewable after voting.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Just wondering who all gets it now that it's that time of year for the stinking Thu night games. I'm a comcast customer currently and they want to charge me $6.95 per mo. Feck em.

If you get it, who's your provider and did you have to pay?

I've had DirecTV for about 10 years now. I've had NFLN since day 1 and it's included in my base package.

I could not live without DirecTV and NFL Ticket.

I don't get and I'm pissed. How am I supposed to watch Favre dominate the Cowboys tonight?

time warner in the cleveland suburban will not carry the nfl network. bunch of fascists!

i used to get it in indiana as part of the digitial cable, but not here.

i could switch to direct tv and get it, but dont' really care. i don't get into football games that don't involve the browns that much, to justify paying for it.

Parker36 said:
I don't get and I'm pissed. How am I supposed to watch Favre dominate the Cowboys tonight?

Good excuse to hit one of those fine bars in Boulder :mug:

duuuude, Dish came last night and installed my HD DVR receiver. Tonight I will christen my new Aquos by watching Romo and company get whipped. NFL Network is one of the HD channels, too, which is just awesome. I can't tell you how great HD looks. It's amazing. And I got picture-in-picture, too. Fuggin sweet.

And no, I'm not suddenly a Packers fan, but when you're in the Skins family, your two favorite teams on any given week are the skins and whoever is playing Dallass.

Direct TV has it in HD. I don't pay extra per se, but you do have to pay a monthly for all of the HD channels(~$5).

Looks goddamn sweet on my 47" Vizio!

Go Brett Fav-ruh!

It is part of an "expanded" digital package for me. Basically my cable company offers 2 expanded packages for digital cable, one is for sports channels and one is for stuff like the Discovery Times channel. I think each package adds like $5 to your monthly bill. Pretty much everyone I know in the area has both packages and considers them part of their basic digital cable offerings.

I used to get it with Direct TV. But where I'm at now, I can't have a dish b/c of association rules. F*c>*ing Comcast sux. I posted this yesterday about it.

wihophead said:
The FCC prohibits most of these types of restrictions if the dish is smaller then 1 meter in diameter.

Good to know! I have a friend who's in the same boat. He wants a dish but can't put it in his condo because the freaking association won't let him... I'll give him this little piece of information. BTW I love the replay they do without all the time-wasting stuff!

ohiobrewtus said:
I've had DirecTV for about 10 years now. I've had NFLN since day 1 and it's included in my base package.

Just a minor nit-pick- but NFL Network is not part of DircTV's base package.

It is included on the "choice" package- which nearly everybody gets.

Chances are, if you've had DirecTv for a while, Total choice was the base package at the time, but it is no longer.

(I just happen to be in a major argument on another forum about just this subject)

HeHe!!!
I will watch the game on a local channel out of Dallas! There would be a revolt here in the Metroplex if we had to pay to watch Dallas stomp GB!!!!

I've gotten it since the inception (thank you DirecTV). In fact, I still have the pilot episode of Total Access on a DVD somewhere.

Regarding the poll---technically don't we all "pay" for it?

I've had Dish Network for about 10 years now, too, so I get both NFL Network and Big Ten Network as part of the middle-of-the-road package that I subscribe to. No HD though, I won't pay extra for that.:cross:

BTW, after a week of legal hassles, NFL Network is allowing two local Wisconsin TV channels to carry the game tonight- channel 5 out of Green Bay and channel 12 out of Milwaukee. So basically the eastern half of the state and the U.P. gets to see the game, and the rest of the state gets f**ked, unless they have a dish. That's ridiculous, there are a ton of Packer fans in the western half of the state that are getting screwed. NFL Network is certainly not making any friends here. :mad:

Why is the NFLN being such a ***** about this? If there's one surefire way to piss off fans, it's restricting viewing access to one of the biggest matchups of the year. You gotta be a special kind of stupid to pull this crap.

Evan! said:
Why is the NFLN being such a ***** about this? If there's one surefire way to piss off fans, it's restricting viewing access to one of the biggest matchups of the year. You gotta be a special kind of stupid to pull this crap.

eh, I don't see the big deal. I'm still pissed that all TV isn't in HD by the end of 2007 because the FCC decided to push it back a year......

Dude said:
I've gotten it since the inception (thank you DirecTV). In fact, I still have the pilot episode of Total Access on a DVD somewhere.

Regarding the poll---technically don't we all "pay" for it?

When I paid $88 last month to Comcast and still don't get it is what gets me and other comcasters undies in a bundle.

we pay less than 100 bucks for HD, wicked fast 15/2 internet and telephone on FIOS

Verizon > Comcast once again

Evan! said:

Quite the contrary, Evan. My guess is that this is exactly what the NFL wants. They WANT people to complain about not being able to see this game. They WANT people to call Comcast or whoever their cable company is and ***** up a storm about it. They WANT people to sign petitions and put pressure on the cable companies to carry NFLN.

The more subscribers they have, the more money they make.

It's the same thing with the NFL's exclusive deal with DirecTV on NFL Ticket. It's not an issue for you since you live in the home market area of your favorite team, but if you ever moved your only option would be to fork over $250 a year for NFL Ticket (and switch to DirecTV in the process) to see your team.

There was the same kind of crap going around here when it was announced that 2 or 3 OSU games were going to be on the Big Ten Network (that most of the local cable companies didn't even offer as an add-on).

If people want something badly enough, they will pay for it and the NFL knows this.

It's actually quite smart on their part. They're trying to increase their viewership and ratings, but the NFL did not create NFLN to bring football to the masses for free. It's just another way to increase the bottom line.

To us it's a sport that we love and are passionate about. When you break it down, it's a business just like any other.

Evan! said:

They are hoping that you'll vent your anger toward cable. They are taking the strategy that you will see the cable/sat industry as the villian.

In most cases, that's what the sheeple will do.

Kind of why I objected to the iPhone ad redirecting anger toward ATC and the airline industry.

I don't think the blame lies on the NFL, or NFL Network. They are being stubborn about it for a reason. They are offering a premium channel, and the ****s at the cable office won't back down from a demand that they won't charge the cable subscribers more fees. Why does Dish and DirecTV have the channel? I never saw a specific price increase once we started getting the NFL Network. It is big cable refusing to even compromise with the NFL. It is biting them in the ass too. I've seen so many people switch over to satellite service this week alone, just for this game. Cable will realize it soon enough--unfortunately (for them) I think it will be too late pretty soon.

Evan! said:

They want the cable companies to cave in and carry it for and average of $.70 cents per subscriber.

The Comcast cable has already issued a cease and desist letter to the NFL Network demanding that the channel's representatives stop encouraging fans to leave the cable provider.

FWIW I would've already been on DirecTV by now; had the installer out about 6 months ago and they couldn't figure out how to wire into the kitchen. Had to cancel the install. I'm waiting for the next promotion from diirectv/qwest and I'm going to get two tv's on the dish and the other two on basic local channel comcast for $14.95 a mo (spare room and kitchen). And I'll STILL save about $15 a month through a Qwest bundle! Heck, maybe I should just toss a big old antenna on the roof for local access.

Not like my little voice matters but I can't wait to tell em why I'm cancelling. At least I'll feel better :p.

wihophead said:
They want the cable companies to cave in and carry it for and average of $.70 cents per subscriber.

The Comcast cable has already issued a cease and desist letter to the NFL Network demanding that the channel's representatives stop encouraging fans to leave the cable provider.

Espn charges cable companies $2.61 and plan to raise prices 35% next year.

http://www.boston.com/business/tech...omcast_departs_from_the_script_on_rate_hikes/

CNN charges $0.45 a subscriber and Fox News charges $0.30

http://sportsbusinessdigest.com/?p=136

I dont' think $0.70 sounds totally unreasonable.

Dude said:
I don't think the blame lies on the NFL, or NFL Network. They are being stubborn about it for a reason. They are offering a premium channel, and the ****s at the cable office won't back down from a demand that they won't charge the cable subscribers more fees. Why does Dish and DirecTV have the channel? I never saw a specific price increase once we started getting the NFL Network. It is big cable refusing to even compromise with the NFL. It is biting them in the ass too. I've seen so many people switch over to satellite service this week alone, just for this game. Cable will realize it soon enough--unfortunately (for them) I think it will be too late pretty soon.

The solution to that is to break up the cable monopolies. Fix it so that there is more than one cable company to choose from in a given town. Sure, there is always the option of a dish, but if you live in an area that won't let you put one up, then there is no other option.

Warped04 said:
I dont' think $0.70 sounds totally unreasonable.

But there is only a limited amount of games in a year and there are a lot of fans that only watch their team not to mention the NFL network has the absolute worse announcers in football. How much do you think it will cost after they get their hooks in???

Bernie Brewer said:
The solution to that is to break up the cable monopolies. Fix it so that there is more than one cable company to choose from in a given town. Sure, there is always the option of a dish, but if you live in an area that won't let you put one up, then there is no other option.

Personally I hate dish, I had it for 6 years, with rain fade in the spring and summer and problems with wet snow in the winter. There is nothing worse then not being able to watch tv on a crappy summer day do to heavy rain.

The FCC prevents restrictions just for this reason though, so people have a choice.

If no one else said it, you need to add "No because my cable company wont get it".
And, the blame lies with the cable companies and the NFL and NFL network, believe me, they are both being stuburn A-holes over the issue.....

wihophead said:
Personally I hate dish, I had it for 6 years, with rain fade in the spring and summer and problems with wet snow in the winter. There is nothing worse then not being able to watch tv on a crappy summer day do to heavy rain.

The FCC prevents restrictions just for this reason though, so people have a choice.

I've had my dish for 2.5 years and love it. I'll take the occasional storm blackout any day if it saves me from having to deal with comsuck. I dealt with Adelphia (who comsuck bought out a few years back) for 5 years or so, and they are terrible.

Anyway, maybe you live in a weather-prone area or something, but we've had relatively few true blackouts. It takes more than just a storm, it takes a huge cell to knock it out.

Bernie Brewer said:

Its a common misconception that there are cable 'monopolies'. Cable systems are very expensive to build and maintain, fiber and main lines in particular. It isnt profitable for two cable companies to compete in one market due to infrastructure reasons. With todays requirement for bandwidth to support all the services cable companies do, you would need to build plants, main lines, headends..essentially an entire new system for each company.

Cable is a free reign market up for grabs, and if it were profitable to have multiple choices of companies, you better believe you would have your choice of providers.

Im not trying to stir up any more arguement, Im just telling it how it is.

Honestly, I work for a huge cable company, particularly one that has been mentioned previously. I am in no way supporting them, or defending cable.

I would rather have Direct TV, but cable is free for me. Gotta cut your losses somewhere! :cross:

The NFL network thing is going to be a non stop finger-pointing battle.

(Please dont hate me.....:mug: )

I have Comcast, NFL network is not included here, and no I don't think I should have to pay extra for it so I don't bother. Cable is starting to be such a rip off I wish someone would mount a formidable competition with them somehow...

wihophead said:
But there is only a limited amount of games in a year and there are a lot of fans that only watch their team not to mention the NFL network has the absolute worse announcers in football. How much do you think it will cost after they get their hooks in???

I've been with Direct TV for 5+ years now, and I haven't had my prices raised once, and they just keep adding more channels.

The announcers are horrible, but I can say that about a lot of sports announcers. And they do only play 8 games, but they show a ton of classic games that I throughorly enjoy watching.

Back