Beersmth 1.4 Released

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
The new version of Beersmith has been released. Go to http://www.beersmith.com/beersmith_14.htm for a list of new features, which include:

* Beersmith calendar
* Notes View
* Recipe Pricing Feature
* Mash Adjustment Tool
* Lock Recipes
* Late Extract Additions
* Improved Water Additions
* Customizable Brew Sheets
* Quick-key to switch from English to metric units
* Perceived bitterness index (BU/GU a la Daniels)
* Improved color estimation

I just tried downloading the trial version but he must have some broken links or server issues atm because it's not working. It looks like decent software though, I'll try again later.

Man, some of the the new features are things I had been hoping for. I'll have to try it out. Version 1.4 is a free upgrade if you've already purchased a previous version of BeerSmith.

And here I thought Beertoolspro was the up and coming, always updated winner... It actually isn't that great and I had a really hard time relearning how to do things beersmith did so intuitively. BTP still doesn't have an inventory feature and you need a masters degree and a labotomy to set up a batch sparge. Ugh, I'm thinking of buying BS.

I downloaded it, but I couldn't figure out how to do a late extract edition. That was the reason I downloaded it. I want to make my Kolsch as light in color as I can. :(

talleymonster said:
I downloaded it, but I couldn't figure out how to do a late extract edition. That was the reason I downloaded it. I want to make my Kolsch as light in color as I can. :(

Just checked it out Talley. Put in your recipe. When you add in the extract at the bottom of the choose grain/extract window there's a check box for a late extract boil and you can input how many minutes you want to boil it.:mug:

Orpheus said:
Just checked it out Talley. Put in your recipe. When you add in the extract at the bottom of the choose grain/extract window there's a check box for a late extract boil and you can input how many minutes you want to boil it.:mug:

Thanks Orpheus!!!

It's a fine update. There's nothing REALLY different about the software, so it was an easy switch. The most noticeable format change is the price next to each ingredient. I don't think I take advantage of too many of the new features. The BU/GU ratio is nice, and the water tool is somewhat useful. Mostly, I'm just glad that BeerSmith works as well as it always has and that it's still supported.

Yep, its nice. The most notable new features are the brewing calendar (surprisingly handy), late extract addition routines, and the pricing feature. One of my favourite new updates (and you will probably like this, too, Denny) is the quick-key switch from metric to Imperial units and back again.

Buford said:
Man, some of the the new features are things I had been hoping for. I'll have to try it out. Version 1.4 is a free upgrade if you've already purchased a previous version of BeerSmith.

How do I upgrade for free? Do I have to email them or something? Or do I just download the "trial" version and use the same key I got the first time I bought/registered?

I saw download trial, purchase, but no free upgrade link or anything...

Got it! Used it to brew my amber last night, and the late extract addition works perfectly! I even had to tell it "add after the boil" - I forgot to add it til I had funneled the wort into the carboy :p

Looks nice - are there any graphical features like charts and IBU/malt representations, etc.? I haven't been able to find any of that.

FlyGuy said:
Yep, its nice. The most notable new features are the brewing calendar (surprisingly handy), late extract addition routines, and the pricing feature. One of my favourite new updates (and you will probably like this, too, Denny) is the quick-key switch from metric to Imperial units and back again.

Hey Flyguy, whats the hot key for the metric/imperial switch. I canlt find that documentation anywhere.

I really wish they had a better help system.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Hey Flyguy, whats the hot key for the metric/imperial switch. I canlt find that documentation anywhere.

I really wish they had a better help system.
When you are in a recipe, press Ctrl-E for English (Imperial) units, and Ctrl-M for metric.

Thanks! I thought I had read about ctrl-m but didn;t know about ctrl-E. Is there a switch for US measurments versus Imperial? For things like sparge water?

BTW, whrre do you find out what all the hot keys are?

Thanks! I thought I had read about ctrl-m but didn;t know about ctrl-E. Is there a switch for US measurments versus Imperial? For things like sparge water?

BTW, whrre do you find out what all the hot keys are?
Sorry -- I said English Imperial, but it is really US units.

I only learned about this feature after I read the what's new page on the website when they released version 1.4:
http://beersmith.com/beersmith14.htm

Otherwise, I wouldn't have known how to do it either. I hate that it doesn't have easily searchable help.

FlyGuy said:
Sorry -- I said English Imperial, but it is really US units.

I only learned about this feature after I read the what's new page on the website when they released version 1.4:
http://beersmith.com/beersmith14.htm

Otherwise, I wouldn't have known how to do it either. I hate that it doesn't have easily searchable help.

Damn American programmers. ;)

Yeah, a searchable help like every other program and the ability to use a tool while in a recipe with out haveing to first LEAVE the recipe would be nice.

Damn American programmers. ;)

Yeah, a searchable help like every other program and the ability to use a tool while in a recipe with out haveing to first LEAVE the recipe would be nice.

That was my favorite aspect of ProMash. Too bad about Jeff. I'd really like to be using ProMash in an updated format.

Back