7.0 CU FT GE Chest freezer conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShermanTank

Reaction score
I took the plunge this weekend for Father's Day and built a Keezer of my very own. I almost started drilling through the walls of the freezer before doing some research. I quickly found out about the wood collar idea, something I would never had thought of on my own.

Anyways, two days of work and here is the result. I am short one draft handle, but I will get it soon. Also, I only had three batches ready for kegs, so there are only three connected right now. I will drop the fourth in after 30 days of fermentation.

Peace.

DSC00548.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

Are you able to use ball lock kegs in this without the collar if using a tower? Also, this one holds 4 kegs on the floor, correct?

Are you able to use ball lock kegs in this without the collar if using a tower? Also, this one holds 4 kegs on the floor, correct?

There are 2 versions of the 7.0cu ft GE freezer. One you get at Sams Club and it will NOT hold 4 on the floor. The other I think you get at Home Depot (but someone can correct me if that is wrong) and it WILL hold 4 on the floor. I have the Sams Club version and I can tell you that ball lock kegs fit in it no problem without a collar. You can check out the build thread in my signature though to see that I put a collar on mine and made it fit 4 with a 6" collar and some modifications.

One important thing to note. If you are going to offset the faucets to one side do not put them on the right.

I put all four of mine on the hump side and now can't fit my co2 tank in. I've since had to reroute it to the outside. Even with a 10" collar the faucets interfere with the regulator and/or keg whichever you place towards the front. It also alters how easy it is to configure kegs inside. I felt like such an idiot when it was all painted, stained, and leak free and the lid wouldn't close. Duh.

One important thing to note. If you are going to offset the faucets to one side do not put them on the right.

I put all four of mine on the hump side and now can't fit my co2 tank in. I've since had to reroute it to the outside. Even with a 10" collar the faucets interfere with the regulator and/or keg whichever you place towards the front. It also alters how easy it is to configure kegs inside. I felt like such an idiot when it was all painted, stained, and leak free and the lid wouldn't close. Duh.

Not sure what you mean, I have mine on the right and I can fit 5 tanks in it with the collar. Why don't you set the co2 tank in one of the holes between the staggered kegs? If you do that, the co2 tank will be held up by the regulator and actually works out great.

If you only have 4 kegs, I really don't get how you can't fit the co2 on the hump towards the back, especially with a 10" collar. Can you share pictures?

Back