Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik77

Reaction score
I made a pear cider from a kit that I followed to the letter. Cider has now cleared but on testing its dry and not sweet but dull. It smells right but taste is wrong how can I make my next one less dry and slightly sweeter?. On a totally different subject is it possible to make a apple cider with a toffee taste as well I'm asking because having seen commercial ciders which are toffee apple flavoured just would like to try.

As to adding flavors I would suggest adding them after it has completely finished aging. I do not have experience doing this but I have thought about adding caramel to my cider before and this is what I thought might be best. Let me know how it turns out.

I've been through this quite recently. I made a strawberry kit and it was dry. So decided to make turbo cider. Aslong as you use juice that has no preservatives to add to the cider. I've got apple & mango in the fridge. Let me know how you get on. Also wine sweetner is a must it's non fermenting sweetner works a treat

tomplum said:
I've been through this quite recently. I made a strawberry kit and it was dry. So decided to make turbo cider. Aslong as you use juice that has no preservatives to add to the cider. I've got apple & mango in the fridge. Let me know how you get on. Also wine sweetner is a must it's non fermenting sweetner works a treat[/QUOTE

Do you add this when you start the cider ie with the brewing sugar?

hi. You add it once your ciders done and ready for either bottling or secondary. It's dry when complete the wine sweetner really brings it up nicely. So try a glass full first then add accordingly

I got some wine sweetener and added small amounts to my pear cider and all I can say is a big thanks for the advice. Such a small bottle has turned the dry cider into a fine tasting pear cider that is going to go down well when its matured.

Back