Hoppy Hoppy Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adaman05

Reaction score
Would love to make a hoppy red, similar to Green Flash Hop Head Red. I think this will be my extract send-off beer before we make the switch to all-grain. Would like any feedback on the recipe I put together. The malt bill is basically Jamil's Evil Twin plus an extra lb of DME. And I'm looking to amarillo hop-burst the hell out of it. Will be doing pretty much a full boil ~6.25-6.5 gal preboil

8 lbs Light DME
12 oz Caramel 40
6 oz Caramel 120
4 oz Pale Chocoloate

0.5 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.5 oz Nugget (20 min)
1 oz Amarillo (15 min)
1 oz Amarillo (10 min)
1 oz Amarillo (5 min)
1 oz Amarillo (1 min)
Whirlpool 15 min before cooling
3 oz Amarillo (dry hop ten days)

2 packets S-05

I would do a longer whirlpool (30 min.), add the amarillo in just two additions (10 min. and 0/whirlpool) and shorter dry hop (3 days), but that's more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going for a ton of amarillo flavor and aroma, so I'm thinking I'll still do the hop bursting method I described. Probably will take your advice on the 30 minute whirlpool, though! The zombie dust recipe that is floating around uses the same 15, 10, 5, 1 method, so I thought I'd try that out with an amarilllo red.

4oz of choc malts is too much in my opinion. I think it might turn out more brown than red. I've made that mistake in my last attempt at an IRA.

Thanks for the quick replies. Would you cut down the choc in half or sub with something else?

I'd probably skip it. I think the caramels will provide a fair amount of color. Maybe add a bit of amber malt.

Yeah dump the chocolate, you don't want your red to taste like a Porter.

Maybe try 1-2 oz of Roasted Barley.

Do you have access to Caramunich? Maybe try 4oz of that. It will lend a nice amber/red color.

I'd probably skip it. I think the caramels will provide a fair amount of color. Maybe add a bit of amber malt.

I recently used amber malt for the first time in an ipa and it was delicious. Very toasty.

I'd go for 2 oz. max. You don't want the flavor, just the color.

Yeah, I was reading up on the roasted barley and was just going to edit my previous post. Probably thinking 2 oz roasted barley, which I seem to recall is the same as the Surly Furious clone, which has a nice red hue to it.

Thanks for all the assistance! Can't wait to brew this up on Saturday after I bottle Zombie Dust take 2.

a little chocolate can do great things in a red but 4oz on top of that much caramel might be a bit muddling

i'd also run this through brewtarget or beersmith to get a good SRM idea if the red aspect is important to you

a little chocolate can do great things in a red but 4oz on top of that much caramel might be a bit muddling

i'd also run this through brewtarget or beersmith to get a good SRM idea if the red aspect is important to you

I plugged it in and I think I'll do the roasted barley, leaving out the chocolate. Color is great at 14.

I've also heard about people throwing in their darker roasted malts towards the end of the mash. This way you only get the color, not the flavor. Have fun brewing.

+ 1 on dropping the chocolate. Maybe bump the caramel 40 to 60 to compensate for SRM loss, but adds more red...

Ok, here is the updated recipe.

8 lb light DME
12 oz c40
6 oz c120
2 oz roasted barley

0.75 oz Columbus (60 min). I bumped this up a bit.
1 oz Amarillo at 15, 10, 5, 1.
3 oz Amarillo dry hop 10 days

Whirlpool 30 min before chilling
2 packets S-05.

I would say it Looks ineresting. What about an ounce and a half of the roasted barley. 2 oz might be too much. And maybe some base malt for fun. Maybe some Maris otter, a half a pound or something.

I would say it Looks ineresting. What about an ounce and a half of the roasted barley. 2 oz might be too much. And maybe some base malt for fun. Maybe some Maris otter, a half a pound or something.

Yeah that could be fun. I'll plug it in and see what the numbers look like. Interesting that you're also in Madison. I'll be stopping by the wine and hop shop tomorrow for the ingredients.

Tomorrow I'm working all day after noon. Are you brewing tomorrow? Also you might want to avoid boiling the dme the full hour. Might get too dark. Didnt crunch the numbers but I would think this would hit 7% abv or so.

Tomorrow I'm working all day after noon. Are you brewing tomorrow? Also you might want to avoid boiling the dme the full hour. Might get too dark. Didnt crunch the numbers but I would think this would hit 7% abv or so.

Brewing Saturday. Where do you work? Also, do you treat your water? I've never done a late extract addition. How do you do it without boil overs? Cut the flame and add it?

Just about to start an office job on State. Sometimes I treat my water for all grain. I wouldn't think it'd be needed here. For the late addition, I would try pre mixing it in some hot water in a separate bowl and adding it, maybe in two or three goes. Probably want to turn off the flame as you add it. I would be interested I this brew but Sat is SWMBOs bd. maybe I could bring a cherry oatmeal stout for st Patrick's day Sunday :mug:

And I would think if you rehydrate one pack would suffice. 1.5 would certainly be fine as well- I would just fear over pitching.

Just about to start an office job on State. Sometimes I treat my water for all grain. I wouldn't think it'd be needed here. For the late addition, I would try pre mixing it in some hot water in a separate bowl and adding it, maybe in two or three goes. Probably want to turn off the flame as you add it. I would be interested I this brew but Sat is SWMBOs bd. maybe I could bring a cherry oatmeal stout for st Patrick's day Sunday :mug:

And I would think if you rehydrate one pack would suffice. 1.5 would certainly be fine as well- I would just fear over pitching.

Very cool. I will scale back to 1.5 packs. OG on this should be 1.072. SRM 13.8 and 59 ibu. I will try your suggestion and do 2 lb DME at beginning and will add the other 6 lbs at 20 min left with a gallon of hot water.

Are you a member of the mhtg?

Why 2 packets of yeast? Properly rehydrated one should do the trick...

Why 2 packets of yeast? Properly rehydrated one should do the trick...

Figured the OG of 1.072 would be a bit high for one packet. I've only used dry yeast once before, but I do properly rehydrate, so I guess I'll go with one packet. Just saved me 3 bucks!

Not a mhtg member but I will have to check it out. Good luck with the brew! I'd be more than happy to come help give tasting notes when it's ready :mug:

Not a mhtg member but I will have to check it out. Good luck with the brew! I'd be more than happy to come help give tasting notes when it's ready :mug:

Thanks, will do! Are you doing all-grain batches? I'd love to watch somebody who knows what they are doing.

My next brew will probably be in April, but I could let you know if you want to come brew some all grain! I am pretty much down to brew anything so I could be open to suggestions!

My first all grain was Janet's Brown Ale- if you like hoppy it's a great one to try! I'd be okay doing another Janet's - did a partial mash version once and all grain, spectacular brew. The all grain also has a hop addition to the mash which is kind of different.

Last minute tinkering before tomorrow's brew day. Thinking about making my .75 Columbus addition a FWH. Somebody talk me out of it (or into it)!

CTR - PM me and maybe we can setup a brew day for Janet's. I'll bring the beer :)

Update: Cracked one last night when it's been in bottles for two weeks. It is red and it is delicious! I expect it to only get better over the next few weeks. Four ounces of Amarillo in the last 15 minutes of the boil sure is fun!

Back