Please Critique my Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdtexas

Reaction score
First AG batch in ten years. I re-read Papazian and purchased Brewing Beer to get myself back in the swing. Also, did an extract batch that turned out great. I am trying to obtain a decent efficiency and re-develop a good plan with sound technique and would really appreciate input or tips.

1. Dough in at 1 quart per pound. I tend to like a thicker mash
2. Step method of mashing in brewpot with rest for 15 minutes at 110F and then gradually bring up to mash temp 151 to 158F dependent on style
3. Once mash hits temp, transfer to preheated cooler and let it sit for 60 minutes.
4. Bring sparge water to 180F. Likely will use about half gallon of sparge water per pound of grain.
5. Using a Zapap lauter tun with 7/64 inch holes (could not find 1/8 drill bit) drilled into a 5 gallon bucket that sits in another bucket with a spigot. My intention is to add 180F heated sparge water to fill to top of false bottom to create a base for the grain bed. Fully aware this is not insulated. thoughts?
6. Add maybe a gallon of boiling water to the mash tun to bring up to temp and then
7.Transfer mash to lauter tun. Assume heat loss and guess that it stabilizes around 170F
8. Fly sparge technique whereby no more than 1qt per minute on vorlauf and on runnings once re-circulated.

thanks

Sounds fine to me.

Although it's not hard to make a sparge manifold out of CPVC or copper and use your cooler as a lauter tun too.

I'm lazy and just do batch sparge... but you could build a manifold and do fly sparging.

Back