compression fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico6115

Reaction score
anyone recommend a site thatll lead me to stainless 1/4 compression x 1/2 threaded fittings. i was told thats what i need to fit onto the bottom of my converted keg. its the only thing keeping me from brewin my first large batch:mad:

McMaster-Carr has everything under the sun:
http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for 'stainless compression' on the left side of the page

1/4" tube by 1/2" male pipe, straight through, is part no. 5182K113 -- $11.88
1/4" tube by 1/2" female pipe, straight through, is part no. 5182K256 -- $15.91

Yeah, I'd like to know exactly what application you're thinking of. Are you trying to make a dip tube or something? If so, 1/4" tube is too small. In fact, I don't know any use for 1/4" tubing in a kettle.

I use a brass compression fitting for connecting my 3/8" tubing cfc to my 3/4" brass ball valve. It works just fine. The brass fittings are widely available at local hardware stores and are MUCH cheaper that SS. I've also found that when ordering fittings online, most companies tack on a substantial handling fee for small orders.

Bah Humbug said:
You clould go for go for cheaper plumbers joint is you need to get you going.

Damn, Orphy what was the name of that brew? :D

Too bad you're a contintent away-I wanna drink with you, Dude. :mug:

i got my keggle off a guy who had 1/2 welded stainless coupling for the temp gauge in the middle and a 1/4 inch tube on the bottom which on the inside had somesorta diptube i would say...ill post some pictures when i gotta chance. i had to get it off him, it was within my price range.

Bah Humbug said:
You clould go for go for cheaper plumbers joint is you need to get you going.
very nice suggestion might i add....

You can get away with brass. Some brewers tend to have a fetish for stainless because it's technically more appropriate in brewing conditions. In practice, there's no danger. I've been able to pick up stainless very cheaply on Ebay over time so brass hasn't offered that much of a discount for me.

If it was me I would take a plassma cutter and cut that 1/4" fitting out and tig weld a 1/2" strait. Although not everyone is a welder so you might have to hire one. or you could cap that port off and drill you a new hole and use weldless fittings.

If it was me I would take a plassma cutter and cut that 1/4" fitting out and tig weld a 1/2" strait. Although not everyone is a welder so you might have to hire one. or you could cap that port off and drill you a new hole and use weldless fittings.

Um... 2007? Hopefully he was able to brew that first batch by now... :)

Otherwise: http://www.brewershardware.com/CF1412.html

Latest posts

Back