so how do you folks clean the OUTSIDE of a corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Bar Keeper's Friend, and lots of water. Really anything that can polish stainless steel will work. Just make sure it won't degrade the rubber handles if your corny has rubber handles.

Gedvondur

I shined up my first four, but now that I have 12, I just clean them with a scotchbrite. I do have to admit that I enjoy filling the shiny ones just a little more. The ones that I did polish, I wet sanded with 400 grit sandpaper and then used bar keepers friend.

I don't. WTF are you asking here?

My carboys have dried hops and sticky **** all over them. It helps when I have to lift them, it is better than sticky tape.

I use the same process that I use on my world class keggle:

Keggle_4.JPG

you guys crack me up! i've been needing an angle grinder for a few things, and was thinking there might be some attachment for it, but i like the wet sanding idea! how long per keg would you guess, Bobby?

You can get a wire wheel for an angle grinder, that might work. Personally, I just put my cornies in my chest freezer and magically I can't see the stickers and grime on the outside anymore.

Please don't use a wirewheel on your stainless unless the wires ARE stainless. I don't know if they even make them. In any case, wirebrushing your kegs with a plain steel brush will cause flecks of rust to appear in about a week. Little bits of the wire embed themselves into the stainless.

I put about 15 minutes of wet sanding into my cornies and that was plenty.

I don't care what the outside looks like, so mine have stickers and junk all over them. The inside is a whole 'nudder matter tho....

I have enough stuff to clean without worrying about the outside of a keg. SO, I don't clean them at all.

We do SS welding at work, and I have never seen a SS wire wheel for a grinder. We use Aluminum Oxide mainly, in disc and flapper wheel.

I used 200 grit on my orbital, and 400 grit on my mouse. I haven't buffed them yet, but I have a cheap car buffing wheel, and will use some SS cleaner. Even unbuffed they look much better than the did last brewday.

I've been looking all over for BKF, but apparently, it's unavailable in the hinderlands of western Massachusetts. So, I just try and keep stuff from growing on the outside and call it good.

the_bird said:
I've been looking all over for BKF, but apparently, it's unavailable in the hinderlands of western Massachusetts. So, I just try and keep stuff from growing on the outside and call it good.

Next time we swap something, remind me to send the BKF to you. They have it at the dollar store here!

There's no shame in grimy kegs, but I like taking a little pride in my collection of stainless.

If you were a guest at someone's bbq, which one of these would you rather pour from?

cornies.jpg

Back