Can i add zest to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybasementbrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm fairly new at the home brew thing. Is it ok for me to to add zest of fruit to my primary? I don't want to make a fruit beer but a subtle hint of lime or lemon would be nice. Oh by the way I'm making a basic ale, if that makes a difference

I would think that primary fermentation might be to rough if you are looking for a little aroma too. I would say if you were looking for flavor maybe add it to the boil at the end or add it to secondary for more aroma. I'm pretty new too but I believe that's the best way to go about it.

I added orange zest to a beer in the past and I ended up boiling the orange peel in a bit of water then strained it and dumped the zested water into the primary. I would think putting zest into the primary and leaving it in there would be a bit overpowering.

Thanks, I'm really struggling with flavoring. I just bottled a chili ale and I put way too much jalapeño for way too long! Tastes like liquid fire

I have had the best results with zest being added to the secondary vessel after fermentation has completed. I would recommend at least 2 lemons to start and soak the zest in a bit of Vodka before adding to sanitize them.

Be careful when zesting to avoid any of the pith or white part as that can be quite bitter.

I did a orange hefe' just 2 weeks ago. Added 4 large oranges worth of zest to the last 5 minutes of the boil. Drank it about 2 weeks later and it was a hit at a party. The keg was tapped in a matter of 2 hours. It was a subtle orange, not over powering. Less orange flavoring than blue moon, but could still taste the orange with the yeast flavors of the hefe.

If you are already fermenting I would recommend the secondary though. Soak the lemons/limes in vinegar/water solution for 5 minutes to clean them, then zest, then soak zest in just enough vodka to cover the zest overnight, pour all the zest and vokda into the secondary.

Chris7687 said:
I did a orange hefe' just 2 weeks ago. Added 4 large oranges worth of zest to the last 5 minutes of the boil. Drank it about 2 weeks later and it was a hit at a party. The keg was tapped in a matter of 2 hours. It was a subtle orange, not over powering. Less orange flavoring than blue moon, but could still taste the orange with the yeast flavors of the hefe.

If you are already fermenting I would recommend the secondary though. Soak the lemons/limes in vinegar/water solution for 5 minutes to clean them, then zest, then soak zest in just enough vodka to cover the zest overnight, pour all the zest and vokda into the secondary.

So, would you recommend trying a wit, or is it the same trying to add to an ale?

Back