Lhbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickettj

Reaction score
Well, i visited my "local" home brew store (an hour and 15 minute drive) and was excited when I arrived and very disappointed when I left. They were courteous when we arrived, very willing to help and seemed knowledgeable. Then I took a picture because I was impressed with the variety in the store. That's when my problems began. The store owner very rudely interrupted me and informed me that I didn't need to take pictures because all of the items...

Can be seen online. Ok, no pictures. Odd, but whatever. Then, because of logistical issues (2kids) we got there 20 minutes to close. 10 minutes to close a guy that works there came up and asked if he could help. I told him my kit was coming and he grunted and got very short. Stopped helping altogether and then informed me that I needed to wrap it up because they were closing. I had intended on buying something there. Had a list. But after that I'm reconsidering the online option.

Can be seen online. Ok, no pictures. Odd, but whatever. Then, because of logistical issues (2kids) we got there 20 minutes to close. 10 minutes to close a guy that works there came up and asked if he could help. I told him my kit was coming and he grunted and got very short. Stopped helping altogether and then informed me that I needed to wrap it up because they were closing. I had intended on buying something there. Had a list. But after that I'm reconsidering the online option.

Sometimes employees or even owners with an employee attitude can be a kill-joy. Luckily i have 2 stores within 10-20 minutes of my home. I think you should call and talk to the owner, they would probably want to know.

Brewtah said:
Sometimes employees or even owners with an employee attitude can be a kill-joy. Luckily i have 2 stores within 10-20 minutes of my home. I think you should call and talk to the owner, they would probably want to know.

The owner was the one that, in a round-about way told me to put my phone away. I discovered that there is a store about 10 miles from that one and that may have been an issue but I still don't see how being rude is ok. If its all online then who cares if I'm a competitor?

Sometimes people have bad days. If it is a good store give them another try. Brick and morter stores can have knowledgeable staff, so you want to nuture some kind of relationship.

Brewtah said:
Sometimes people have bad days. If it is a good store give them another try. Brick and morter stores can have knowledgeable staff, so you want to nuture some kind of relationship.

I just told SWMBO that I was going to give it another shot. Try them again when I have more time and get there early.

Sometimes owners can get jumpy with cameras around due to legal things. They don't know you so they have to be careful. You could be a competitor that isn't doing well so you figured you would copy their design. You could be someone trying to find a good store to "fall and break a leg" in to get insurance money from. They could also be protecting the privacy of any other customers that are in their.

In any case, definitely try them again. Maybe go earlier. I know when it is close for me to go home I get annoyed when people call me with a long winded question.

You can also look on review sites to see what other people think of them. If you get the same response from them then you should probably find another store.

My LHBS is great. On the smaller side but everything is always fresh. He has a great relationship with the distributors he deals with so if something isn't fresh he replaces it. He doesn't carry Wyeast anymore because he had complaints from customers saying the yeast wasn't fresh or was already smacked and Wyeast didn't want to hear it. He said White Labs refunds everything that isn't fresh and even gives him discounts to pass on to his customers for having those issues. Just a great store all around. There will always be a few guys in there just hanging out and drinking. I'll bring a 22 or a 6 pack and just hang out and talk. I don't think I have been there without staying at least an hour. Even if I'm just buying yeast or a few hop packets.

1hr 15 min drive? Rude sales? Screw that, order on-line... it's cheaper anyway.
I'm all about buying local, but that is way too far to drive for supplies.

I have 2 stores near me and the service could not be more different. I think it was because one is run by a family and one is run by employees.

After just starting brewing, my buddy and I had a terrible experience from the employee run place. Got absolutely no help and when we asked questions the answers were condescending and not even useful. I will never go back there.

The other place knew my by name after 1 visit. They will order things just for me, will have everything ready in advance of my arrival if I need recipe ingredients and call them and are more than willing to offer helpful advice without looking at me like something they just scraped off the sole of their shoe.

I actually feel a bit guilty when I order online as opposed to going there. Fermentation Solutions is the name of the good place and it is in Campbell, CA.

Back