2 scobys 1 batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hxcpunk71

Reaction score
I just made my first actual batch of kombucha and I have 1 thick scoby and one really thin baby scoby. The batch is ready to bottle. My ? Is do I use both scobys to make the next batch or just the thicker mother? Thanks!!!

Yes, you can use the baby with the mother in a new batch, once it is about 1/4" thick it can be used to make its own batch.

Yes, you can use the baby with the mother in a new batch, once it is about 1/4" thick it can be used to make its own batch.

thickness doesn't matter and is more a result of temperature (and perhaps sugar, but temperature foremost). if i recall correct the thicker and more white the mothers are, is the result of a slightly cooler environment. warmer ferments and the scoby will thin out.

as long as you have a scoby along with 1/4-1/2 cup of your previous batch for starter, your next batch of kombucha should grow. i don't even touch the mothers until i have 3-6 layers. then i'll usually toss all but one and continue on

Back