A & Dubwa Woot Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landshark

HMFIC
Reaction score
Made this a week ago, pretty close IMO to A&W, little creamier.

2oz* (typically 1 bottle) McCormick Root Beer Concentrate
64 oz Light Corn Syrup
1 lb Dark Brown sugar
3 lb cane sugar

Heat 6 qt water in stock pot to simmer, add corn syrup and sugar. simmer 30 minutes. Cool pan in ice bath to 90.

Transfer to keg/bottling bucket

Add Root Beer extract, bring volume to 5 gallons (top off keg)

Carbonate in keg or proceed with yeast method in bottles.

* Add 3 to 4 oz of Root Beer Concentrate for a more rooty kick.
McCormick is the brand of concentrate I find at my local Wal-Mart and Hy-Vee. Others have tested this with other brands and all seem to have good results.

Last edited:
Shouldn't there be a difference in sugar levels between a forced carbonation in a keg vs a yeast method in bottles?

Wouldn't this recipe be too much sugar/syrup for a forced keg situation?

Shouldn't there be a difference in sugar levels between a forced carbonation in a keg vs a yeast method in bottles?

Wouldn't this recipe be too much sugar/syrup for a forced keg situation?

The yeast methods typically only use a small amount of yeast to carbonate. If it used more amounts you would create an alcohol taste and/or blow up the bottle. The amount of sugar in this recipe is so high I think it also won't affect too much if you use a little less for bottleing.

FWIIW, I kegged mine, and the recipe is what I used. I didn't subtract any to offset the difference.

I finally got around to making this up. It definitely is creamy and super sweet, however, i am going to use 4oz of extract next time cause 2oz isn't enough IMO.

My kids love root beer. I told them about it and they really want me to make it for them. The dark brown sugar, is that for the creamy taste? I would love to make some cream soda also.

My kids love root beer. I told them about it and they really want me to make it for them. The dark brown sugar, is that for the creamy taste? I would love to make some cream soda also.

I think the corn syrup gives it the creamy taste. I say this cause I did a Cream Soda with a pretty similar recipe and used vanilla and corn syrup and it was ridiculously creamy and sweet. The brown sugar gives a real caramel flavor to it I think.

landshark said:
I think the corn syrup gives it the creamy taste. I say this cause I did a Cream Soda with a pretty similar recipe and used vanilla and corn syrup and it was ridiculously creamy and sweet. The brown sugar gives a real caramel flavor to it I think.

Ok thanks. Can you post the recipe for it.

Have you guys tried to use Stevia or Truvia to cut down on the calories a bit?

Also, after you top this off with water in the keg, did you then seal it, purge it, and then shake it to mix it better?

Have you guys tried to use Stevia or Truvia to cut down on the calories a bit?

Also, after you top this off with water in the keg, did you then seal it, purge it, and then shake it to mix it better?

I'm a big guy, I don't worry about calories. Pure sugar for me.

And yes, I purge and shake. Typically I'll also give it another shake 2 or 3 days later as it seems the syrup settles again right before it carbonates.

I'm a big guy, I don't worry about calories. Pure sugar for me.

And yes, I purge and shake. Typically I'll also give it another shake 2 or 3 days later as it seems the syrup settles again right before it carbonates.

Ok thanks. Once I get a keezer setup, I'll give this a shot. I may substitute some of the sugar with Truvia, but not all.

Is 20 PSI to low to dispense at? I have read it needs to be around 30 psi to fully carb is this true?

Sorry for the delay in response. I keep a soda keg tap on my 6-tap keezer set to 30 psi and have 25 feet of 5/16 hose to dispense from.

Just mixed up and kegged a half batch of this. Looking forward to giving 'er a taste once it's carbed up.

This was excellent! Just kicked the half-batch keg yesterday. Got major thumbs-up from the kids.

Adding yeast to this syrupy concoction sounds pretty dangerous. Since yeast propagates and will keep eating until the sugar runs dry, I'd believe that unless you keep the bottles really cold to slow yeast propagation, the bottles would turn to explosive bottle bombs.

x

Adding yeast to this syrupy concoction sounds pretty dangerous. Since yeast propagates and will keep eating until the sugar runs dry, I'd believe that unless you keep the bottles really cold to slow yeast propagation, the bottles would turn to explosive bottle bombs.

x

The OP didn't get into the detail. On sugary sodas, you can pitch yeast then cold crash it a few days later (and then keep in refrigerated) or pasteurize.

My son and I put a few in PET bottles to easily gauge the carbonation level, with the rest in bottles. When the PET is firm, its time to pasteurize or refrigerate.

If you don't do either, then yes, kaboom.

Made this a week ago, pretty close IMO to A&W, little creamier.

2oz (1 bottle) McCormick Root Beer Extract
64 oz Light Corn Syrup
1 lb Dark Brown sugar
3 lb cane sugar

Heat 6 qt water in stock pot to simmer, add corn syrup and sugar. simmer 30 minutes. Cool pan in ice bath to 90.

Transfer to keg/bottleing bucket

Add Root Beer extract, bring volume to 5 gallons (top off keg)

Carbonate in keg or proceed with yeast method in bottles.

Can't find McCormick's root beer extract anywhere, including online, did you mean McCormick's root beer concentrate?

Neither could I, but my LHBS had some root beer extract that worked just great. It's from Rainbow Flavors, Inc. and it's got some incredibly on-the-nose name like "Old Fashioned Homebrew Root Beer Extract Soda Pop Base."

Can't find McCormick's root beer extract anywhere, including online, did you mean McCormick's root beer concentrate?

That's it. I think it also might be called Schilling's instead of McCormick, depending what part of the country you're in.

I have had bottle bombs with this stuff, so use strong bottles and keep it cold after about 2 days, or use plastic pop bottles.

I've never force-carbonated it, (haven't bottle-carbed it in a long time either) but I think I would reduce the sugar a bit if I did. Maybe use 4 pounds instead of 5.

I had some zatarains root beerconcentrate arrive today. I plan on force carbing in a keg and bottling from the keezer.

Sorry I never added details on bottling this. I have never tried bottling a soda, so I don't want to give out information I don't know to be accurate, plus I think there are a few how-to's posted on bottling sodas on the site. It appears z-bob has, so follow his ideas there, or find the how-tos. Glad everyone likes it that's tried it! I can never keep enough in my keezer.

Modified the recipe to account for a few notes people have added over the past few years. And corrected extract to concentrate.

Looking forward to making this recipe this weekend with my nieces. They've helped occasionally with small things on brew days, but it'll be nice for them to actually be able to try something they've helped make.

Made the up about a month ago. Took some to our local Homebrew meeting and everyone really liked it. A couple people were confused as to why I brought a non-alcoholic drink to a Homebrew meeting.

We did change the recipe. We ended up cutting the corn syrup and sugars in half. It just sounded way too sugary for us. Made just over 4 gallons. Thanks for the recipe.

Back