giving the yeast a bath

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clementine

Reaction score
I have been slanting yeast for a while but my latest slant from WLP001 took a bit longer than normal to get going. I was going to write it off until I saw stopped to plate over night and got some flocculation. Anyway it is not going to be ready for my next brew of a Cascadian Dark Ale so I decided to wash the yeast from a West Coast Pale Ale that I was kegging last night. I took lots of Pics just to see how it progressed.
2011-12-11 12.09.16.jpg

2011-12-11 12.10.42.jpg

2011-12-11 12.24.48.jpg

2011-12-11 12.33.59.jpg

2011-12-11 12.34.05.jpg

So if I did this right, I collected the cake from the bottom of the fermenter by swirling the last bit off beer around and threw jars containing the cake and trub it in the fridge overnight. All the jars that I used be they empty or full of water were pressure cooked prior to being used in any part of this process.

This morning I poured off the settled out liquid from the jar containing the smallest part of the cake. I then added pressure cooked water to the jar and shook it all up. Note to self... next time use a bigger jar the yeast cake was so think and the trub had so much hop particles that it needed more water to get things happening. I let it settle out for about 20min and then poured off the liquid containing the washed yeast and leaving the trub behind. I then let the yeast settle out in the jar. It is in the fridge at the moment settling out. Should be ready for me to brew in with tomorrow after another wash.

Clem

Back