Brewing has taken over my life.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
I have been a bass player for a few years and since I started brewing beer (not to mention having a kid) I pretty much stopped. Now I'm thinking about selling most of it to finance some more home brew equipment. I never really had the motivation to really learn how to play (I.E. reading music etc..) but with brewing I have to make myself stop reading and obsessing about it. It's the first hobby that I've had in which the end product is consumable:drunk: , maybe that's what's so attractive about it:D
all I know is that this hobby is crazy and I have about 2 grand in bass stuff I could sell. Now the only decision I have to make is whether or not I want to sell all of it, or part of it?

Any suggestions?

Dan

Willsellout said:
Next up: Summit IPA, California Common,then possibly a fruity beer or the wife.

Not much to add really... as someone who's always wanted to learn music, but doesn't have the patience to, I could see selling the gear for more beer gear.

But my comment really has to do with your siggy.

You're planning a fruity beer OR doing the wife? ;)

Well, I as well have no idea how to play music so my opinion is biased. I would sell the stuff and get a 14 gallon conical, build a bar with a sweet tap, build a lagering fridge and buy yourself about 15 corny kegs. i thought i would have enough with 6 of those so i sold one to alemonkey, alas, i need more now:drunk:

Oh, i forgot as well. Yeah, the obsession only gets worse with the more stuff you buy. Prepare yourself for when your brain starts scheming on how to come up with the next items to feed your sickness.

I keep an instrument, and get some kick a$$ brewing gear. Life moves along, and you are fortunate enough to have discovered where it is all meant to lead!

Brewpastor said:
I keep an instrument, and get some kick a$$ brewing gear. Life moves along, and you are fortunate enough to have discovered where it is all meant to lead!
Yeah I think I will keep one bass which I kind of have a sentimental love for, sell everything else and get a practice amp too fool around with if I feel the need. This way I should have around 1500.00 or so to fool around with. Of course I don't need all that for brewing stuff and I will undoubtedly need to buy something nice for the wife if I plan on buying more brewing stuff (I just spent 300 on AG supplies). The only thing I can really think of buying is a nice kegging system, some better bottles, an outdoor burner, and some shelving to make up my gravity system. The kegging system will have to wait until I have a spare fridge but everything else I could get now..my head is swimming with the possibilities:D
I've never had a hobby that I really loved and after three brewing days I know this is something I will be doing the rest of my life.

Dan

If you have any skill at all on the instrument, then keep the necessities... I'm a guitar player, I have about 3 grand in guitar stuff and I couldn't sell any of it. But, its been a part of my life since I was six, and giving up that hobby would be giving up 17 years of my life (or a large chunk of those 17 years).

If its something you do just to fiddle around, but are into brewing way more, keep one bass like you said, sell the rest.

i've played guitar for years, and have collected a lot of stuff. i only sell, and would only sell gear to get better gear. but i love playing music. and besides, what could be better, than plugging in, kicking back, and pouring a homebrew? :mug:

my vote goes for keeping it all. life's too short.

seefresh said:
If its something you do just to fiddle around, but are into brewing way more, keep one bass like you said, sell the rest.

This is where I'm at. I don't have the committment to actually learn the craft. But with brewing I absolutely have the motivation to learn as much as I can. I haven't played in a band for a few years and just kind of got too bored to even play anymore. It's been a good 6 months since I even picked up my basses. I'm actually into drumming way more, but can't play because I live in a duplex. So now that I have found a hobby that I love, it's time to scale down the one that I don't I think.

Dan

Willsellout said:
The only thing I can really think of buying is a nice kegging system, some better bottles, an outdoor burner, and some shelving to make up my gravity system. The kegging system will have to wait until I have a spare fridge but everything else I could get now..my head is swimming with the possibilities:D
I've never had a hobby that I really loved and after three brewing days I know this is something I will be doing the rest of my life.

Dan

This is where the insanity starts. A keg here, a Co2 tank there and next thing you know you are thinking up new recipes or how to make new equipment in your sleep.

It's an interesting dilemma.

For me, my other hobby is wilderness camping/canoeing/backpacking.

The nice thing about that hobby, is aside from a canoe (someday!) I've got virtually everything I need, and can pack up and go away for a weekend on a moment's notice.

It's not something I need to practice, like music, and it doesn't demand a lot of my money now that I'm almost completely outfitted. The only thing it costs me is gas money to get to my destination, and canoe rental costs if I'm taking a canoe trip.

So, for the most part, I can devote a little money here and there to this new hobby, and I'm VERY lucky in that SWMBO is my brewing partner. So it's not really a my spending versus her spending thing :D

Dude said:
Do you do recipe formulating in your dreams yet? SWMBO told me I woke up her up one night talking about adding carapils to a recipe. :eek: True story.

Not quite recipe formulation, but I do remember waking up the other day having had a dream about visiting my LHBS

I haven't dreamed about beer yet, but I get nervous on airplanes (I know, nothing to be afraid of, but it's a gut thing), and to chill myself out I work out beer stuff in my head. Same if I can't fall asleep--slowing down and thinking about beer recipes and gear helps me relax.

Dude said:
Do you do recipe formulating in your dreams yet? SWMBO told me I woke up her up one night talking about adding carapils to a recipe. :eek: True story.
well I'm still learning on how to formulate and what does what so not really. But I do go over my brew day over and over again about a week before it happens. I've been sorting out my first AG brew day for the past two weeks, and I'm still about two weeks off from it. I just have this crazy need to learn as much as I can about this hobby. I've never been this into anything, hobby-wise.

Dan

You will never know everything about making beer, right when you think you know something somebody comes up with a theory that makes more sense. I've been in it for 13 years and I'm still learning. That is one of the things that makes this hobby interesting, there are many stages of brewing and techniques to learn and everyone has thier own ideas to throw into the mixture.

I wish these forums were around when I started, you guys just starting out have it made...

Monster Mash said:
You will never know everything about making beer, right when you think you know something somebody comes up with a theory that makes more sense. I've been in it for 13 years and I'm still learning. That is one of the things that makes this hobby interesting, there are many stages of brewing and techniques to learn and everyone has thier own ideas to throw into the mixture.

I wish these forums were around when I started, you guys just starting out have it made...

These forums have saved me money, time and frustration..it's also probably the reason I'm so obsessed with brewing:D

Dan

$1500 bucks just to spend on brewing equipment, damn wouldn't that be nice. I only wish I had another hobby I really wasn't into just so I could sell the S#it and use it to make a major online order.

Yeah, I'd keep something to remind me of the original hobby, but the rest would be on Ebay tomorrow.

I think you know the answer. If one "hobby" isn't working out move on. Or just stop playing for a few weeks/months and see how you feel. If you don't miss it well its a sign.

This brewing stuff is pretty fun. Its hard to beat but I know I won't be able to maintain this level come summer when its hot so I need a side project for the other part of the year.

I have to admit of all of the hobbies and/or piles of gear I have, brewing is the most used. I have a 24' RV and in the last two years have only used it to ... go to beer events! The tiny tub is useless, except as a cooler. It holds four kegs, the CO2 and still has enough room for my greyhounds' water dish. My hop garden is larger than my vegetable garden. I pick blackberries and use 90% of them in cider & mead. Once the blueberry bushes get established, that's where most of them will go as well. My last major construction project was a conditioning cabinet.

And I really don't drink all that much.

I'm right there with you man. I don't have anything to sell to finance new equipment, but I'm definately becoming obsessed. I've only brewed 3 beers, but I'm CONSTANTLY trying to work out what i want to brew next, when I'm going to do it, what stages my current stuff is at, what I'm doing next to it. Its exciting.

I can't wait until I have a good stock of brew going, then I don't need to be so anxious about wishing they'd be ready to drink.

Musicians NEVER sell their stuff! I'm a drummer and have had my set in storage for about 6 years, but I would NEVER sell those drums, ever.

Ask yourself, are you a true musician?

That will be your answer.

:)

Ive thought about selling some of my equipment......

but thats just so I can fund a bigger, more expensive piece of brewing equipment.

but I changed my mind. in the end I'm going to just keep it all :ban:

brian williams said:
i've played guitar for years, and have collected a lot of stuff. i only sell, and would only sell gear to get better gear. but i love playing music. and besides, what could be better, than plugging in, kicking back, and pouring a homebrew? :mug:

my vote goes for keeping it all. life's too short.

+1 I have 7 guitar's 3 amp's a drum kit pa all the stuff for playing music I love to brew but would never sell my gear to fuel my brewing hobby.:tank:

Hey if I was into it and played with other people it would be one thing, but for me: I don't play, I don't want to play or learn, and I live in a tiny town with absolutely no music scene. So put yourself in your house, night after night playing through headphones to yourself, it gets boring and tired. I have completely dropped playing bass for brewing. Of course I realize in the future that I might want to play again, this is the reason for keeping one maybe two basses and a little practice amp. In truth I don't need anything else. I'm basically selling my amp, cabinet, and effects; all of them easily replaceable if I wanted to.

Dan

Willsellout said:
Hey if I was into it and played with other people it would be one thing, but for me: I don't play, I don't want to play or learn, and I live in a tiny town with absolutely no music scene. So put yourself in your house, night after night playing through headphones to yourself, it gets boring and tired. I have completely dropped playing bass for brewing. Of course I realize in the future that I might want to play again, this is the reason for keeping one maybe two basses and a little practice amp. In truth I don't need anything else. I'm basically selling my amp, cabinet, and effects; all of them easily replaceable if I wanted to.

Dan

Then I guess you just answered your own question. Sell it all, save for the one bass, and hook yourself up with some sweet-assed brewgear.

Big-Thumbs-Up.gif

Willsellout said:
I have been a bass player for a few years and since I started brewing beer (not to mention having a kid) I pretty much stopped. Now I'm thinking about selling most of it to finance some more home brew equipment.
Any suggestions?
Dan

Ill trade you a leaky carboy for your bass?

Dude dont sell anything! Unless its crap, you will regret it. To me this is a no-brainer, both of these hobbies can be had on the cheap. Ask Brewpastor about his set up, which is an end-all-be-all type of set-up and he can point in the right direction.

ebay is a wonderfull place, I just bought a 62 AVRI Jaguar for 780 bucks off some idiot that was broke. These guitars sell for 1400 new. Its the same for beer crap, people are constantly pawning stuff off for next to nothing. Be patient and peruse Craiglsist and Ebay and you will find mad bargains.

Just my thoughts.

Ivan Lendl said:
Ill trade you a leaky carboy for your bass?

Dude dont sell anything! Unless its crap, you will regret it. To me this is a no-brainer, both of these hobbies can be had on the cheap. Ask Brewpastor about his set up, which is an end-all-be-all type of set-up and he can point in the right direction.

ebay is a wonderfull place, I just bought a 62 AVRI Jaguar for 780 bucks off some idiot that was broke. These guitars sell for 1400 new. Its the same for beer crap, people are constantly pawning stuff off for next to nothing. Be patient and peruse Craiglsist and Ebay and you will find mad bargains.

Just my thoughts.

Well I would just be selling my live rig as I won't be playing for the next few years probably. I am probably keeping both my basses, as they really are kick ass, but the rest I don't even use. My stage rig is out in the garage and has been for about 6 months. I have sold everything before and told myself I'd never do that again, because starting back up is crazy expensive.

Dan

Have a beer and think about it.
Then have a play on the bass and think about it.
Repeat above.

The last action that you do will be the most important!

Back