Low Final Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwoodcock

Reaction score
First post...Couldn't find an answer to this question, and i read these forums all the time.

Anyway, I just took a gravity reading on an IPA i was working on.
I used Wyeast 1056, with a starter. Plus i added a tsp of wyeast nutrient.

All grain (please ignore my efficiency...I'd rather not talk about it)

7lbs 2-row brewers
7lbs Pale Ale
.75lbs Carafoam
.75lbs Munich Type 1
.75lbs 2-row Caramel 40 L

75 Min Mash @ 150

+26oz Clear Candi Sugar

Starting gravity 1.074 (mash tun got clogged...almost cried)

the strange thing was the FG ended up at 1.001
Not really what I was going for, and I'm sure there's probably an obvious answer. Even if my Hydrometer is off, that would be off by a lot.
I mean, I'm not worried about it; it tastes pretty good...just has more of an alcohol burn.

Are you sure it isn't 1.010?

Have you done a hydro test with 60 degree water?

I don't know about the other variables, but I'm positive that the candi sugar helped to push your FG down.

Tested it when i took SG, it was right on.
Just tested it again, it was .98. So 1.003 i still strange

Candi sugar by itself will not lower your FG. Cane/candi sugar ferments completely, leaving no residual sugars unlike malt which will leave things like dextrins after fermentation. Therefore, just using candi sugar will not lower your final gravity for some arbitrary reason, but it will result in an FG lower than that of an all malt beer of the same OG.

I think that your hydrometer is off. Even taking out the candi sugar you shouldn't have less than 1.010. What does it taste like?

It has a very dry finish, I was hopping for a reserved sweetness but it is pretty much not there.

I figured I would end up around 1.014, by my calculations. Could by my hydrometer, but it was only off by -2 in 60 degree water. I'll buy a new one tomorrow and try again.

Back