gluten free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcody2005

Reaction score
anyone got a good gluten free beer recipe that dosent involve malting your own miscillanious grain? i'd like to make a batch for someone with celiac disease while my very first batch of beer is lagering! thanks!

Graham Sanders of http://oz.craftbrewer.org/ has a podcast where there is a Celiac who is refining recipes and sending them in for "judging". I don't remember which show it was but you can search his podcast and listen in to a detailed recipe or have a look at the recipe hyperlink. There were a couple of the recipes that all who tasted the gluten-free beer were very impressed and indicated they'd start adding millet to some of their gluten containing beers. I'm heading to the feed store to buy some millet, it's unmalted but I'll combine with some good 6-row. If it turns out nice then I'll search out some malted millet. Good luck and let us know which recipe you decide on.

My LHBS just started carrying Sorghum Extract. Huzzah! I was thinking of brewing some G-Free beer for my celiac family members as well. The owner of the shop was halfway through his first attempt with sorghum, so he couldnt offer any suggestions. I figured I'd come here and research before attempting it myself.

Any idea on the brand name of the sorghum extract? I tried looking it up on the net without much luck! any information on how to obtain this stuff would be greatly appreciated! "Huzzah" Professor Farnsworth, is that you?

So, when is someone going to brew a batch and report back? The only celiac I know doesn't drink at all, so I'm not motivated.

david_42 said:
So, when is someone going to brew a batch and report back? The only celiac I know doesn't drink at all, so I'm not motivated.

Well, I'm not motivated yet on a full gluten-free beer but what I heard on the podcast making an unmalted millet/malted barley beer has me wanting to try other ingredients. I hope to brew this next weekend and if you're interested in how it turns out as it matures I'll PM you and keep you advised.

I just cracked open the first bottle of a GF amber last night, not bad at all but could use a little more time in the bottle. Had a nice smoke flavor from roasted buckwheat.

Latest posts

Back