looking to dry hop wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have my first partial grain recipe (Berlin Wheat) for a wheat going from a midwest brewing kit. After the mash it was a full boil with 1 oz Hallertau Pellet Hops at the start of the boil and 1 oz Hallertau Pellet Hops at 30 minutes. I was wondering if I should add 1/2 to 1 oz now for drop hopping to add aroma? The ale has been in the fermentor for 2 weeks now and I can transfer to the secondary this weekend. I used whitelabs wheat yeast .

Any ideas? Thanks,

Mick

Is this a traditional wheat recipe? What yeast did you use? If you're going for a typical weizen beer then I would not dry hop. It is technically out of style, in fact most have little to no hop aroma. The yeast should be the focus.

Sorry about forgetting the yeast type: White Labs American Hefeweizen Ale 320 Yeast. I had made this from a partial mash/partial extract kit for Berlin Wheat from Midwest brewing. I didn't know if adding aroma hops would improve this at all. This is my first partial mash kit.

This was the listing shown in their catalogue:

Pale in color with a light body, this wheat beer has traditional hop flavor and aroma. Our ingredients for this recipe include 3.3 lb. of Wheat Malt Extract, 2 lb. American 2-row malt, 1.5 lb. Wheat malt, 8 oz. of specialty grains, Liberty bittering hops, Spalt aroma hops, Grain bag, priming sugar, and yeast. (9 lb.)

This is the listing that was sent:

Partial Mash Berlin Wheat: Pale in color with a light body, this wheat beer has traditional hop flavor and aroma. Our ingredients for this recipe include 3.3 lb. of Wheat Malt Extract, 2 lb. American 2-row malt, 1.5 lb. Wheat malt, 8 oz. Munich 10°L, 2 oz. Hallertau pellet hops, priming sugar, and yeast.

For the yeast I used White Labs American Hefeweizen Ale 320 Yeast pitchable tube.

Thus, the first listing shows a different set of hops than the listing sent with the kit. I didn't know if the difference in hops (Liberty bittering hops, Spalt aroma hops as listed versus Hallertau pellet hops sent) would greatly alter the taste of the beer. The Hallertau was added (1 oz at 60 min) and another 1 oz at 30 min.

I should have rechecked the two listings for these differences prior to brewing. Just looking to see if i should add any aroma hops via dry hopping at this point.

I'd leave it the way it is. Dry hopping a wheat just seems like asking for too much aroma. Like Daveooph says the focus really should be the yeast here. Not having hop schedule, I would have done the exact same thing you did (1oz@60, 1oz@30). Seems like the right timing given those hops.

If you really want to get more aroma, dry hopping for a week with 1/2oz probably wouldn't be going overboard, but it's not really to style. Of course I've been know to do things off style (see my Wee Mild/Northern Heavy). Guess it really depends on what you want out of this beer.

Terje

Any idea on why the hops listings are so different? One had the aroma hops and what I used had no aroma hops since 30 minutes of boil would take the aroma sensation away. This is my first time using the White Labs American Hefeweizen Ale 320 Yeast pitchable tube so I am not sure what this should taste like. I liked the taste of Sierra Nevada's wheat but since that has been discontinued I am looking to try to make something like it. I don't have all of the equipment yet to try all-grain brewing which is why i thought this partial mash whould be a good step.

thanks for the reply

I looked at my favourite hop subs chart here, and looks like Liberty and Hallertau are good subs for each other. Hallertau looks to have some spicy notes and is mild. While not listed as a direct sub for Spalt it would be somewhat similar (missing some citrus it looks like). It's pretty common that hops get subbed in kits. Just depends on what was available when the kit was put together.

Terje

Thanks for checking into this for me. I'll skip any dry hop additions for aroma at this point and just see how things come out. I will inquire next time I order if there would be a difference in the final product w/o having the aroma hops addition the last 5 minutes of the boil. Just kind of makes me curious.

mick

welll...it depends really. It looks like you`ll have already made a nice lite wheat beer already without the dry hopping. I would say if you don`t have many adjuncts with malt flavor to balance then 1oz could be pretty agressive. Here is a link to a recipe I mentioned earlier with lots of amarillo in a wheat beer for comparison.

http://www.brew365.com/beer_three_floyds_gumballhead.php

I`m not really sure what you`ve made already so if I were you I might try dry hopping half with amarillo for a more american aggressive hoppy/fruity style and you could keep the other half for a more subdued, wheat beer, which is also great....

I have about 1/2-3/4 oz of Palisdae hops left over from another brew session. Did you think this might add some flavor from missing the aroma hop staging of the original recipe listing? I have looked at both of our local liqour stores that carry hops and could not find any amarillo hops to use. There is no LHBS place within 80 miles of where I live.

Back