Craft Beer Festival - VA Beach VA This weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn I miss VaBeach . . . used to live just off of Laskin and First Colonial. Sounds like a nice little Festival.

It was a great event and withthe air show going on during the weekend not that crowded. Plenty of good brew at a good price and my wife dd for me so it made it safe and fun. But I did not get the corresponding weiner dog show and beer fest connection. But hey my girls enjoyed it though.

It was a great event and withthe air show going on during the weekend not that crowded. Plenty of good brew at a good price and my wife dd for me so it made it safe and fun. But I did not get the corresponding weiner dog show and beer fest connection. But hey my girls enjoyed it though.
Well son of a *****. Why didn't I see this thread earlier... My wife DD'd for a friend of mine and I for the beer festival in Norfolk, and it was misery. Combine the heat, humidity, and the sheer number of people that were only there to get f'd up - and she said never again. The same buddy of mine and I went to Savor in DC, and if this was anything like it - I think she would have gone.

It was a well planned event on scale with any other event at 24th street. All the beer was great and we all had a good time despite the chilly winds my wife and kids talked about. But Am surfing that morning plus being designated drinker kept me warm. Oh and cheap parking due to tourist season being over also made it better. Will make sure I attend next year.

It was a nice event, and I plan to attend next year as well - as a volunteer. I attended the Saturday event and the weather held up enough to make it enjoyable. I really wish the folks serving the beers had a bit more knowledge about the beers but meh...

A couple of things I learned while I was there -

I still dont like Belgians - Dubbels, Trippels, Wheats Etc. They all still taste like banana flavored play-doh to me. These were the only brews I wasnt able to palette.

IPAs are still my favorite but after several different ones, your taste buds start to get blown out and some begin to taste like a mouthful of potpourri.

That "Cider" they were serving wasnt a cider - it was really a Belgian in disguise. "Its dry isnt it?" the lady asked me. If you consider banana flavored play-doh dry, then yes, it was.

And finally, the last thing I learned was AB does in fact have a valid purpose.
While they may serve ****ty rice beer to the masses, their ugly red delivery/serving trucks keep that craft beer nice and cold. It was a bit of a distraction to see a bug ol Buttwiper truck sitting in the event when I first walked up and having my beer served from it. But it all worked out after about my 6th or 7th beverage. :p
-Me

The cider you mentioned... was that the booth that was closest to the rest rooms on the road side? Yeah I thought they had it mislabeled or something and she was sure they had it correct. I still believe they made a mistake :)

Yeah the big ol bud trucks serving beer threw me off at first... I thought Bud was giving samples and I was tricked into buying samples of their crap.... so my though process was this
I checked the names out..
IPA...
taste..
THIS IS NOT BUD!
And smiles...
empty cup,
no smiles,
refill..
and smiles..

Things learned.. letting my wife convince me to bring the kids was fun for her... (I was the tool having to have a daughter on my shoulders for the majority of the event Saturday until relieved by my parents who came down).... not fun for me and slowed the tasting process down (I'm not going to drop my kids mind you so I had to be super dad till they were taken away by parents).

The cider you mentioned... was that the booth that was closest to the rest rooms on the road side? Yeah I thought they had it mislabeled or something and she was sure they had it correct. I still believe they made a mistake :)

Yeah the big ol bud trucks serving beer threw me off at first... I thought Bud was giving samples and I was tricked into buying samples of their crap.... so my though process was this
I checked the names out..
IPA...
taste..
THIS IS NOT BUD!
And smiles...
empty cup,
no smiles,
refill..
and smiles..

Things learned.. letting my wife convince me to bring the kids was fun for her... (I was the tool having to have a daughter on my shoulders for the majority of the event Saturday until relieved by my parents who came down).... not fun for me and slowed the tasting process down (I'm not going to drop my kids mind you so I had to be super dad till they were taken away by parents).

ROFL!! I remember seeing you!
I was inches from introducing myself with a comment like "Holy Cow! Thats some tumor bud!"

Yes, that was the booth. They had the "Merry Monks" trippel as well. I didnt care for either one of them. And yeah, I made mention to the folk that I thought this was a "craft brew" fest - why the hell were there AB trucks there??? Then I realized they were there for no other purpose than to keep the beer cold.
Then again, it was kind of an eye catcher for BMC drinkers, and could have very well opened the door (and eyes) of at least ONE BMC drinker. :mug:
-Me

Latest posts

Back