AG, too high OG, dilute when bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longneck

Reaction score
So I decided to make a simple AG batch this weekend. I got ballsy and decided I would decide my grain bill without doing any calcs. Here's my overzealous recipe

10# 2-row
2.5# flaked corn
1.75 oz centennial (60 min)
0.25oz centennial (10 min)

My OG turned out to be 1.060. Which means I'm probably looking at a ABV around 6.5%. Should I dilute with boiled water when bottling. I was looking for a good, easy drinking lawnmower beer. However with this the lawn may not be cut too straight after a couple of bottles:cross: Advice?

Toss the whole damn batch. But in the intrest of being enviromentally freindly, go ahead and bottle it up "as is" and ship them to me for proper disposal.

Seriously though, Bottle it as is, then make yourself another batch with the ABV you desire. I'm not a fan of watering down homebrew, the BMC's have that market cornered.

I'd actually add water before you pitch the yeast. better to adjust OG beforehand so it is part of the chemical reaction that is fermentation.

just know that doing that will lower your IBU's too, which may or may not have a negative impact on the finished beer.

Many of the big breweries make higher gravity batches and add watter latter. I like it at 1.060 but diluting it will not hurt it that much. It is a little bit high for a cream ale.

I'll try passedpawn's idea. 3/4C. should be enough to carb 6 gal then?

3/4c is just right for 5 gal of, say, cream ale. It is probalby appropriate to up it a bit for yours 6gal beer which looks like it will benefit from lots of carbonation... maybe a bit more. Beersmith helps calculate these numbers.

I always use 3/4 cup, for batches that were 4.5 - 6 gal. Never had any problem. I have loved them all!

On bottling day, boil 1 gal of water with 3/4 corn sugar and a few hop pellets for 15 minutes. Mix with beer and bottle. Enjoy.

I add stuff all the time to get my beer just as I want it.

I change my mind. I wouldn't add the hops at bottling time! You will have floaties in your bottles.

I do add stuff normally, but I add it to the fermenter. I add dextrose, water, and hops to push up ABV on big beers.

Add the boiled water and hops right at the end of active fermentation, then bottle as usual when the time comes. Or, removed the hops and add everything at bottling.

Back