10 gallon fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I've just started doing ten gallon batches and would really like to use one container instead of 2 separate buckets or carboys. What would everyone recommend for this? I'm looking for something somewhat cheap that would work as I'm brewing 4 separate 10 gallon batches for a party and don't have 8 freed up fermenters right now. What about something like this?

Vittles Vault® Containers - US Plastic Corporation

The vaults have been recommended on this forum quite a bit. I haven't used them myself, but I did just pick up a 10 gallon bucket from NorthernBrewer.com. I will be trying it out very soon.
The lid on this bucket does not totally seal.. which I do not see as a problem, and will eliminate the need for an airlock. I'll probably drape plastic over it due to paranoia, but it looks like a decent fermenter, and was pretty cheap. I plan to only actively ferment in this bucket, and transfer to 2 kegs for conditioning.
You might also look for glass demijohns, which to my understanding cannot fit more than 10 gallons unfortunately.

Those would work, but there are cheaper options out there. I've got what essential breaks down to a 12gallon trash can that I use when I do 10gallon batches. Very similar to this:

12_gallon_primary.jpg

I actually picked it up at my LHBS. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find something similar at a Lowes/HD/Ace type place. It is food grade. My only beef with it is it's pretty thin plastic and flexes when you move it full of wort. There are ways around that of course, but thought I'd mention it. No need for an airlock either as the lid is not air tight.

This is the company that makes them: http://www.thunderbirdplastics.com/pages/multiusepailsus.htm

Hey Kilted, I have seen those at Steinbart. You just roll with the "semi-open" fermentation? Pretty cool. Do you secondary/condition in something else with an airlock? In my setup, I would probably just leave it in that pail for 2 weeks and then keg it w/ no airlock.

After reading the write-up in BYO, I bought one of those food grade rubbermaid brute trash cans (which I haven't brewed in yet) at Home Depot for about $20. Granted it's a 20 gallon trash can, but I don't have to worry about blow-off.

I guess you could consider it "semi open" There is still a lid covering, and when you're off gassing nothing is going to make all the twist and turns it would require to get in there. I've only done two batches with it to date. One I transferred to two carboy's to age after two weeks, the second I transferred to the barrel (see signature Old Bruin).

I would think if you are making 10 gallon batches you would need at least a 12 gallon container once it stats fermenting.

Also, for those using the larger options, how do you move it around and transfer the wort to bottle/keg after fermentation? 83 pounds is pretty heavy, no?

I have a spent LME container (one of the blue ones) that I got from my LHBS for like $5 once all the LME was used. I think it holds 15g or so... perfect for 10g batches, and dirt cheap. The LHBS has to do something with them, and they probably usually just toss them out or recycle. There are 2 holes on the top, a big and small, both with screw-in caps. The small hole (which was the vent hole) fits a plunger (not sure what size) with an airlock perfectly.

Regarding the OP, would one still use an airlock with the viddle vault? Looking at getting one after seeing this post.

Vittles Vaults are outstanding! I use them for my grain (the 40lb version will hold an entire sack of grain). They are very sturdy and air/water tight. You can get them with free shipping from Amazon.

There are several people on here (I think Edwort is one) that have used those. I got one from my LHBS that held LME. Will be using it next weekend. Shouldn't have any problems. Sound like Trubadour has the same thing but blue.

McKBrew,
I have a local wasserstrom I was looking at the brutes. Will you be adding a blowoff tube or an airlock? Are you going to do anything to make it airtight?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Jackover's Brewery, Pub and Pole Dancing Club

Why look outside the brewing world? I'm fermenting in a 15 gal sankey right now. 10 gallon batch. Orange carboy cap fits over the opening... Done and Done

McKBrew,
I have a local wasserstrom I was looking at the brutes. Will you be adding a blowoff tube or an airlock? Are you going to do anything to make it airtight?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Jackover's Brewery, Pub and Pole Dancing Club

I put an airlock on it. As far as being airtight, it's not really required as the lid will vent and serves the function of an airlock.

The article suggested food grade lubricant (keg lube) and some clamps to make a seal, but didn't state how effective it was. I have a 20G trash can and the max I'd consider putting in it is 15G, more often 10G and won't be using a blow-off.

I'm new to this and still have lots of questions. Is it ok that these types of containers will still let air in? I thought that a fermenter needed to keep all air out. I have not brewed a batch yet but I am almost setup for all grain 10 gallon batches. Is it ok that the lid doesn't seal? If so my fermenter hunt just got easier. :)

Thank for any help. My keggle is almost complete and I will be posting often very soon. This forum seems to be a great source for brewing information.

Back