Dec 08 BYO Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
Anyone looked at the recipes yet? I'm digging the Mike Riddle recipe and it looks awesome. 8.5% 100 SRM 100 IBU 6L starter 20+ lbs for a 5 gallon batch. I'm looking forward to brewing this but I've got some work to do. Should be really fun to brew.

Dont you meant he Dec 09 BYO?

I glanced at them the other day when I got the mag and I do plan on doing one to christen my new 10gal MLT...just need to pick one.

Here's the recipe in Beersmith

stout.jpg

Dont you meant he Dec 09 BYO?

I glanced at them the other day when I got the mag and I do plan on doing one to christen my new 10gal MLT...just need to pick one.

Whoops, edited title. Guess I'm slipping.

EDIT: Do I have the ability to change the title of the thread or just the title of my first post?

I dont think you can edit the title of a thread. A mod might be able to help but it's no big deal...

I'm actually looking at the magazine right now and thinking I like the "Czar's Revenge" better. Not a fan of the high IBUs of the others. I think I might do the Czar's but use the Irish Ale yeast I have from doing an Irish Red then a Stout I just did and see how it turns out.

They all say to wait 6 months - 2 years (!) before drinking but I dont think I can do that...

Well I plan to bottle this, first time in almost a year. I figure I can leave it in the bottle for at least 6 months or more. In that amount of time the bitterness should mellow into awesomeness. I'm thinking about splitting the batch in secondary and oaking half of it. In the mean time I'm making sure to crank out enough beer to take my mind off of it.

I just started the starter for my porter for the weekend, the yeast cake I plan to pitch this on. I'm planning for the first weekend in December for the imperial brew. When do you plan to brew?

I haven't picked up any 5.2 yet but since Ed is now open for bizness!!! I can pick some up. I'm going to check my mash ph this weekend but I haven't advance beyond ph and reducing chlorine and chloramine. I don't have a water report for the area yet.

Well I plan to bottle this, first time in almost a year. I figure I can leave it in the bottle for at least 6 months or more. In that amount of time the bitterness should mellow into awesomeness. I'm thinking about splitting the batch in secondary and oaking half of it. In the mean time I'm making sure to crank out enough beer to take my mind off of it.

I just started the starter for my porter for the weekend, the yeast cake I plan to pitch this on. I'm planning for the first weekend in December for the imperial brew. When do you plan to brew?

Good point...maybe I should bottle it and try to forget it for a while. Maybe try and wait til next winter?

I plan to brew the RIS Thanksgiving weekend.

Ideally I'd leave it til next winter to give it plenty of time. Of course I'll sample a few along the way to see how its maturing. :D Planning this got me craving a imperial stout last night. I opened my last bottle of an extract batch I made several months ago and it matured really well. Followed that up w/ a Stone Imperial Stout from this spring. Got my fill of imperial stouts for the night.

Back