making my own recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
Ok, granted I've only brewed 2 batches so far, both LME and the second had grains as well, I'd love to make my own recipe.

I know that I cant just "dive in" and think it'll turn out good. I'm thinking I should take a recipe I enjoy, and slitly tweak it. I also think I should learn more about hops and grains to see what they do to the batch it self.

So, should I just keep brewing recipes I get from AHB or other stores for a little while, or buy them, and tweak them a little?

With extract and steep it's quite easy if you understand what you like and how to get it.
Throw your recipe up here and you'll be told if you've made a mistake.
It gets a bit more complicated if you are mashing.

I would sicking with known recipes if you are not sure what the different grains do.

Tweaking good recipes is an excellent way to learn. Don't make more than one or two changes per batch, otherwise it is difficult to sort out what change did what.

What David said. Pick a style you like to drink, find a good recipe and brew it several times while working on improving your process. Then start making single changes to the recipe.

GT

I recommend Ray Daniels book Designing Great Beers for recipe formulation. I love this book, and for it to not have one recipe in it, it is how I got to where I am today formulating a recipe.

Latest posts

Back