Wort chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdburkhart

Reaction score
So I am looking into building a wort chiller as the first step of starting to build up to all grain.

I think about using 20' of 3/8 copper tubing since i can build it all for under $35 right now. I know that won't be as efficient as some longer chillers, but I figure I could do this for now, since my current brew kettle is 3 gallons.

When I upgrade my kettle, I figure I can use this a pre-chiller with a bigger one.

Or should I just save my pennies and build larger one?

FWIW, I use a 20-25' 3/8" copper tubing immersion chiller and have for over 15 years. I've used it in a 5 gallon brew pot and an 11 gallon turkey fryer. We have cold ground water here, especially in the winter, and I typically go from boiling to ~63F in under 10 minutes with the exception of when I do a hop stand for 30 minutes. Lately I've been cooling 5.5 gallons of finished wort with a hop spider dangling in the middle and because of the really cold ground water I've been getting there in under 10 minutes.

Back