Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodHokie4

Reaction score
I'm looking at brewing a Dunkelweizen for christmas gifts to friends and family this year. Any thoughts on my recipe outline would be helpful.

6.5lbs Wheat LME
1lb Carapils
8oz 40L Crystal
4oz Pale Chocolate
4oz Munich
.75oz Tettnang
.75oz Saaz
WLP300

Thanks, and Cheers!:mug:

Looks like a good 5 gallon recipe. You could probably drop the carapils, or maybe drop it to 8oz. It might be a little sweet if you keep it that high. The recipe looks German except for the WLP300. Are you partial to that yeast?

Looks like a good 5 gallon recipe. You could probably drop the carapils, or maybe drop it to 8oz. It might be a little sweet if you keep it that high. The recipe looks German except for the WLP300. Are you partial to that yeast?

I went for a straight drop-in to replace maltodextrin from another recipe (i cut and pasted several recipes together for this one). So, thats where the 1lb came from. I've never used it before, so thanks for the suggestion to drop it.

Also, I was torn between WLP300 and Wyeast 3068. All the other batches I've ever used have been from box sets and I just use whatever yeast it happened to come with. Would you go with the 3068?

Cracked open my first bottle tonight. I'm throughly satisfied with how it turned out. I pitched the yeast a little hot and ended up with a little heavy clove flavors, but its smooth, dark, and full of flavor. I poured the bottle slightly lower than room temp into a frosted glass, thus the excess head retention. I will be adding this to my permanent recipe book!

ForumRunner_20121204_204716.png

Cheers!

Back