Do i need acid blend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
M doing my first batch of mead. I have everything but the acid blend. Is it neccassary?

Usually it isn't. Honey is very acidic, and generally mead does not require additional acid. I've never used it, personally.

I mix my own, using the suggestion from Ashton & Duncans book "Making Mead" (long out of print, but used copies can be found). It's 2 parts malic to 1 part tartaric.

I only used it after the ferment has finished etc, then its added incrementally, too taste.

Is it necessary? No.
Can it improve a mead? Absolutely.

I don't add it to all my meads, but I do add it to quite a few. Too little acid can leave a mead, cider, or wine dull and lifeless. A little acid can brighten the flavors. I look at it like adding salt to a dish or lemon to a piece of fish. The food was okay without it, but the salt and lemon can improve it. Like Fatbloke, I usually add it to taste post-fermentation in my meads. I add a measured amount to a small sample. When I like the blend, I scale it up for the full batch.

Back