Gelatin guide; pictures!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skacorica

Reaction score
So I went ahead with the gelatin in the following steps:

1) Heat 2 cup measuring cup up with filtered water up to 170 degrees
2) Add packet of knox supermarket gelatin to water
3) Important: STIR UNTIL COMPLETELY DISSOLVED
4) Allow water to cool to 120 degrees
5) Pour into secondary. I poured down the sides to try and evenly distribute the gelatin solution into the carboy. I then stirred the solution gently into the beer.
6) Put the carboy out in the garage to crash cool

Here are the results; one is my amber ale that I used gelatin in, the other is my belgian ale that I brewed the same day, but did not put gelatin in. Note that the belgian ale IS a bit darker but not by a whole lot and even with the SRM difference its obvious which one the gelatin was used it. Note the agave wheat bottle that I placed behind each to show the clarity. I apologize for the water spots on the glasses, we are out of jet dry :p

beercomp.jpg

Yup
That gelatin works real good -not too pricey either.
I usually mix into cold water sit for 20 min and then microwave to boil
I have tried both racking with full mix and simply dumping in the carboy with a little mixing (advantage that you don't need to rack again). Both methods work but if you do a full rack it will work faster. Also if your ambient temp is cooler it will settle faster.

Correct me if I am wrong - but I was under the understanding - you only need a 1/2 package or LESS of gelatin in warm (clean) water and you DON'T want to boil the gelatin and water mixture, as "giligson" did in the microwave - as you will then create beer jello.

See HBT Link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/using-knox-gelatin-1st-time-95053/

I found that the whole packet worked well; I am now drinking it and its clear as can be. There was no order/leftover etc.

and yes, you are correct, BOILING is bad, you will get beer jello.

Also, stirring is iffy, you risk oxidation.

I just dump mine into the keg, either before or after racking, (I don't secondary). It doesn't seem to matter which order I do it, (beer then gelatin, or gelatin then beer), and even without stirring my keg is clear in 3 days.

Cool pix!

I really need to try this for my next beer. Has anyone tried this with a dry hopped beer? I know that dry hopping will leave a little haze, but I wonder how much the gelatin will help. I will post pics when I try it.

Eric

I really need to try this for my next beer. Has anyone tried this with a dry hopped beer? I know that dry hopping will leave a little haze, but I wonder how much the gelatin will help. I will post pics when I try it.

Eric

I do it with dry hopped beers all the time.

Works like a champ, (and as far as I can tell, no flavor/aroma/whatever is lost).

Serendipitous timing... I was planning on tossing some gelatin into the alt I have going tonight. I have some of the economy-sized packets of Knox, though (left over from a failed jello shot experiment), so I don't think I'll need anything close to a whole packet! :D

Serendipitous timing... I was planning on tossing some gelatin into the alt I have going tonight. I have some of the economy-sized packets of Knox, though (left over from a failed jello shot experiment), so I don't think I'll need anything close to a whole packet! :D

Haha I guess I should have said "small packets." Definitely do it, I wanted to make sure I had some clear beer for my super bowl party and man did it work!

Note: I also cleared my belgian ale the exact same way after I saw it worked on the amber.

This is how I do it:
1. Add 1 tsp of Knox to 4 oz of cool water
2. Wait 15 minutes for "bloom"
3. Heat in microwave to 170 (about 1 minute usually)
4. Stir a little
5. Add to carboy
6. Wait a couple of days and rack

Correct me if I am wrong - but I was under the understanding - you only need a 1/2 package or LESS of gelatin in warm (clean) water and you DON'T want to boil the gelatin and water mixture, as "giligson" did in the microwave - as you will then create beer jello.

See HBT Link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/using-knox-gelatin-1st-time-95053/

Can't say I've ever had a problem with "beer jello" there is not enough gelatin to create a "gel" in 5 gal of beer.
All I'm telling you is what works well for me.:p

Is this something that should not be done if you are planning on harvesting yeast from the carboy? Does the gelatin settle out onto the yeast cake or something?

It makes a nice "jello layer" and compacts the yeast. Really helps for getting a clean transfer. I think you can just harvest and wash the yeast if it bothers you.

Is this something that should not be done if you are planning on harvesting yeast from the carboy? Does the gelatin settle out onto the yeast cake or something?

Wow great question, I actually DID harvest the yeast cake from my belgian and it didnt hinder things at all. In fact, it kind of made it easier because it segregated from the yeast quickly when I did my initial dump into a jar.

hello am new to the beer makeing and woz wundering if sum1 cud help me out with a thuw fings

No fings, radio.

Seriously, read a lot first, then make a new thread with a question. Stop going :off: in someone else's thread.

Also, type in complete sentences, use correct grammar, and get off my lawn.

This is how I do it:
1. Add 1 tsp of Knox to 4 oz of cool water
2. Wait 15 minutes for "bloom"
3. Heat in microwave to 170 (about 1 minute usually)
4. Stir a little
5. Add to carboy
6. Wait a couple of days and rack

This is exactly how I do it except I heat mine on the stove. My microwave is a bit too finicky to be trusted. :cross:

The "Crosby & Baker" Gelatin I have says on the package to use 1/2tsp per 5gallons and it worked well at that amount.

All, I have a beer that I have on tap that really needs to be cleared out. I was curious if I could use this process on an already carbonated beer. Has anyone tried this. Would really like to clear this beer up as it is my best beer yet, but it is cloudy.

All, I have a beer that I have on tap that really needs to be cleared out. I was curious if I could use this process on an already carbonated beer. Has anyone tried this. Would really like to clear this beer up as it is my best beer yet, but it is cloudy.

Take it off CO2, open up, pitch the gelatin solution, close it back up, cool it down for 48-72 hours, re-hookup carb and let sit and recarb.

Take it off CO2, open up, pitch the gelatin solution, close it back up, cool it down for 48-72 hours, re-hookup carb and let sit and recarb.

Exactly. Also, be QUICK with the lid....your carbonated beer will foam up like crazy when the warm gelatin liquid hits it! I've done this a couple times now, and no worries, works great, just be ready with the lid.

so, to clarify, this can be used in the primary prior to cold crashing, and it does not hinter yeast harvesting?

so, to clarify, this can be used in the primary prior to cold crashing, and it does not hinter yeast harvesting?

Correct, it can be used in primary/secondary (note: if you are doing it in primary/not using secondary make sure to wait until its done fermenting!)

and no, it will not hinder yeast harvesting

Its a shame to muck around with a really good beer just to try to make it crystal clear. For all you know - some of the flavour components that you like are tied up in that protein haze.

Well is seems to be a perfect chance for an experiment, I will take an extra keg and split my beer into two batches. Will see how it affects taste once i try the gelatin trick on one of them.

I know that a few of you guys are saying that you are putting the gelatin into your corny kegs and it is working awesome. I want to do this and just have a quick question. Are you just boiling the water (sanitizing) and then cooling down to add gelatin? Or how are you doing it? Thanks!

I know that a few of you guys are saying that you are putting the gelatin into your corny kegs and it is working awesome. I want to do this and just have a quick question. Are you just boiling the water (sanitizing) and then cooling down to add gelatin? Or how are you doing it? Thanks!

Craigers; to be honest, I did not boil mine. Raising the temperature to 170-180 typically is enough. From princeton research:

"water temperatures above 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes. So in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) from 160° F (70° C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude."

Even that is on the safe side...its not essential but if you wanted to be super safe you could boil and then let cool.

Craigers; to be honest, I did not boil mine. Raising the temperature to 170-180 typically is enough. From princeton research:

"water temperatures above 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes. So in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) from 160° F (70° C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude."

Even that is on the safe side...its not essential but if you wanted to be super safe you could boil and then let cool.

I'm in the same camp. I heat it up to ~180 ish, then let sit for 5-10 minutes with the heat off.

Beer is pretty robust anyways.....you can do a to beer before it gets infected, (wort is a bit more sensitive).

I just racked a cloudy nut brown to the keg two days ago. If I take it off the gas and put this in there the. It should clear up it two days?

I have never used it before so I want to make sure I do it right since I'm planning on entering it into our club competition.

Can I out the gas back on after I put the gelatin in?

Thanks for the help!

Back