First Bottling Day Today And It Went Well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ic3scrap3r

Reaction score
Well, I fumbled my way through my first bottling day after 3 weeks in the primary. I don't even think I messed anything up! So, now my Schrödinger's Amber Ale is bottle conditioning and I guess I'll brew either my Irish Red or English Nut Brown next weekend. Wait, I've got to take an inventory and see if I have enough empty bottles! This batch worked out to exactly 48 bottles.

The bottling day was pretty mild. It is nowhere near as hectic as brew day! The green beer tasted pretty good with no off flavors. I'm looking forward to sampling it as it ages/carbonates.

The brew day went OK as well, it just seemed like a lot more work and much busier.

I just bottled up my first batch today as well, it's a good feeling. Congrats. Now on to my next batch! Going to do an American Red, move it to secondary and then get EdWort's Haus Ale and do a primary only brew :) My gf is already starting to worry I'm spending too much time on my new hobby!

Equipment is still pretty sparse so I just used my dishwasher to sanitize my bottles. Worked like a charm. Got 48 bottles as well. I plan on handing about half of them out as gifts.

Like anything, it just takes practice & being able to get a routine down. I started bottling thinking I absolutely needed one of my roommates to help, and the last 3 batches I've done nearly 2 cases each in an average time of about an hour from sanitizing to cleanup. :)

I used the dishwasher racks to dry my bottles after sanitizing. I don't really see how a bottle tree would make it much easier. The racks in my current dishwasher seem like they are almost made specifically for long neck bottles! The necks stick down through the rack so there is no part of the rack inside the bottles to worry about bacteria, etc. (I still gave the racks a quick spray with sanitizer.)

I had my wife and daughter assisting in the process and we all tried out the various steps and had a good time bottling. I could definitely see being able to bottle myself without it being too much of a chore.

My wife said that the green beer tasted good enough to drink and she doesn't like beer! I hope she feels the same way when it is carbed and conditioned!

Congrats on the first brew! I used to employ the wife in the bottling process; now the kids help me...ages 11 and 14.
Make sure you have enough bottles! Although, you can start your next batch and by the time it is ready to bottle you'll probably have all the 1st batch drank!!!
I used to use an old dishwasher rack as my "bottle tree." Now I just santize the CLEAN bottles in the washer. If you use the dishwasher to sanitize, don't use a detergent. Detergent can leave a film on the bottle.

I used the dishwasher racks to dry my bottles after sanitizing. I don't really see how a bottle tree would make it much easier. The racks in my current dishwasher seem like they are almost made specifically for long neck bottles!!

I must confess - we do not own a dishwasher hence the bottle tree for drying

Now I just santize the CLEAN bottles in the washer. If you use the dishwasher to sanitize, don't use a detergent. Detergent can leave a film on the bottle.

I ran my already clean bottles through a wash/rinse/dry cycle after cleaning out the dishwasher well. Then I sanitized them and set them back in the rack to dry. I figured the dishwasher heat plus the liquid sanitizer would cover all the bases.

Back