Does 5.2 Buffer alter mineral content?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-TH-

Reaction score
Up until now I've used 5.2 buffer in my AG batches but I want to start tweaking the minerals a bit. The spreadsheets/calculators that I've played with all do not have a way to factor in 5.2 Buffer. I would like to add salts to adjust my CL to SO4 ratio but I think I still need the 5.2 Buffer to keep my mash pH in range.

Here's my water analysis:
Ca: 44
Mg: 12
HCO3: 116
Na: 13
CL: 18
SO: 32
pH: 7.54

I would like to brew an Amber (SRM 14) with low bitterness.

Any advice?

No, it's just phosphate buffers.

Which is made of salts..............

You'll be adding PO4, and I believe they use the Na salt of phosphate so that will go up to. Your water is pretty low in Na so I don't think it will be a problem. Typically, high salt contents make brewing higher IBU beers more tricky. You'll be fine with a low IBU amber.

Which is made of salts..............

You'll be adding PO4, and I believe they use the Na salt of phosphate so that will go up to. Your water is pretty low in Na so I don't think it will be a problem. Typically, high salt contents make brewing higher IBU beers more tricky. You'll be fine with a low IBU amber.

The amount in 5.2 is not enough to turn a low- or medium-salt-level water into a water with "high salt content".

The amount in 5.2 is not enough to turn a low- or medium-salt-level water into a water with "high salt content".

Thanks. I won't worry about it then. I do wish the spreadsheets out there had a way to input this just to show the adjustments even if they are minute.

Back