Help identifying keg. Is it worth using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santacruzbob

Reaction score
Hello I'm brand new to the forums and brewing. My buddy and I were given a keg which I think is "hoff-stevens" type (big wooden bung in the side) but it looks like a standard fitting on top for the tap. Is this keg worth using as a keg (we've come to realize that bottling is a pain..) or would we be better off recycling it? I'm not sure how to add pictures so if they don't show up.. http://bob.desinc.net/keg1.jpg http://bob.desinc.net/keg2.jpg

keg1.jpg

<BR>
keg2.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply Steve. I believe the golden gate kegs have an additional tap on the bottom where the beer would pour out. Either way, do you have any experience using this kind of keg and is it worth the hassle to clean it and find the proper equipment to tap it?

Picture 2 sez it is 15.5 gal. But I agree with it being a fermenter.
And remove all those warning stickers!

-OCD

I'd say it was an old Hoff Stevens keg. the Golden Gate has the gas in offset at the top. and a liquid out at the bottom side. at least mine is. cool find.

thanks for the quick replies. Would you guys even consider using this as a standard keg? or would it be better suited as a fermenter?

how many valves dose it have? just the one on top? the only thing is the wood plug. if you can find a way around that then sure. mine makes a great mash tun. will it hold pressure?

buzzkill: it's only got the one valve (pictured) on top and the wooden bung hole in the side. I haven't removed the wooden bung or the valve on the top yet due to lack of knowledge. I'm assuming it holds pressure since I pushed on the ball valve and quite a bit of gas was released but I have no idea what the pressure was.

cool find... it might just be pita to clean though unless that hole in the side comes out easily and you have good access to the inside.

Usually those kegs are filled by the bung in the side and a new one is used each time. I probably wouldn't use it as a keg just since you'd have to buy new bungs for it. Also, they are a pain to get out, I think I remember seeing people drill them out most of the time.

it will make a great fermenter. just lay it on its side and fill/empty from the side bung hole. just stick a rubber bung with airlock in that hole. make a rack like what they use for barrels. :cross:

any ideas where I could find a rubber bung that's properly sized? seems like it would make a good fermenter.. also, any advice on disassembling the valve on top?

It looks like a Hoff-Stevens with a converted sanke fitting. There is a step by step pictorial some where on this site on how to remove the sanke diptube.

thanks guys. keg came apart fairly easily and I've got it filled with oxyclean. just gotta find a good rubber stopper to put in the side

Back