Keep Refrigerated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheat King

Reaction score
So I bottled my Porter Ale this weekend, and decided to get started on my next kit to keep a good rotation going. It's a Scotch Ale (Wee Heavy) from O'Shea's in Laguna Niguel.

Well, tonight I opened up the sealed bag of ingredients and had a look at what I was dealing with. Read the instructions, blah blah blah and noticed a RED tagline on the bottom of the Label/insruction sheet that says KEEP REFRIGERATED. uh oh, i've had it stored in my closet for the past few weeks while working on my porter ale. It doesn't seem to have any ingredients that I'm unfamiliar with, and was not refrigerated at the Homebrew Shop.

Specialty Grains (Willamette)
Malt Extract
Dry Malt Extract
Nottingham Brewing Yeast
Priming SugarBoiling Hops
Irish Moss

The regular stuff (to me thus far in my brewing)

I'm assuming it's fine, but i have to ask...were the ingeridents meant to be refrigerated? or are they talking about the bottled beer? Any help would be appreciated.

Wheat King said:
thanks!
sorry for the worthless thread, guys.

Not worthless, this will not only help you out but many others who will search for the answer and find this post.

You should also keep the yeast refrigerated, whether it be dry or liquid.

John

And yes it is a good idea to keep your beer refridgerated too, unles you like the authenitic room temp brew (always a good choice too).

See that is why homebrewing is awesome. It doesn't matter! Sit back relax and have a homebrew!

Cheers!!

On to my Musconectcong Magic Stout!!!! mmmmmmmmmm delicious!

Alpha acids oxidize more slowly in the fridge. I keep everything frozen in the top of the kegger because I frequently buy makings for two or three batches at once.

Would not keeping it in the fridge affect milled grains? I keep my cold but thought I would ask out of ignorance.

Milled grains go off much more quickly. If you have your local HBS mill the grains for you it might be worth investing in a food-saver or other brand of vacuum packaging equipment if you're not going to use the grains within a couple of weeks. I've noticed a huge difference after 10 days of storage of milled grains but if you vacu-seal those precious grains then I've used them up to 2 months later with success. Oxygen is the enemy but if you use them within a couple of weeks of milling or store under a vacuum then you'll be golden. Just my $0.02, but the one correlation I've made in brewing is that if I use an almost certainly oxidized grain then my beers seem to lack something and seem stale(?).

Back