Ginger Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recipes (at the top of the page) -> Spiced/herb beers -> Ginger Beer

Not to sound to blunt but they're there.

Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing has a recipe for ginger saison. I made it, and although I had trouble keeping the yeast motivated, it was a popular brew. I also converted it to all-grain, and I can't put my hands on that recipe at the moment, but here's the extract version...

6.6 lbs Light LME
1 lb Light DME
1 lb Cara-Munich
1 lb Light Candi Sugar
1.5 oz Hallertau bittering
.5 oz Hallertau flavor
.5 oz Styrian Goldings aroma
2 oz Crystalized Ginger (cut up)
Saison or Biere-de-Garde yeast

1. Add the grains to cool water (in a bag), heat water to 170F.
2. Remove grains, add DME and LME, boil.
3. Add hops at 60, 10, and 5 minutes.
4. Add candi at 10 minutes.
5. Add ginger at flame out.
6. Cool, pitch, rack, etc.

Took forEVER to finish. Saison yeast likes it hot, so keep it as warm as possible. It ended up giving up way too early, and I had to adjust the bitterness with an additional hop tea at the end of fermentation.

I've brewed AHS's Ginger Hibiscus Saison a while back. To this day it is my most requested "When are you going to brew it again?" It was a beer that was better when consumed a little younger than normal. After 6 months the ginger and hibiscus had faded a little too much. I liked the ginger bite when younger.

Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing has a recipe for ginger saison. I made it, and although I had trouble keeping the yeast motivated, it was a popular brew. I also converted it to all-grain, and I can't put my hands on that recipe at the moment, but here's the extract version...

6.6 lbs Light LME
1 lb Light DME
1 lb Cara-Munich
1 lb Light Candi Sugar
1.5 oz Hallertau bittering
.5 oz Hallertau flavor
.5 oz Styrian Goldings aroma
2 oz Crystalized Ginger (cut up)
Saison or Biere-de-Garde yeast

1. Add the grains to cool water (in a bag), heat water to 170F.
2. Remove grains, add DME and LME, boil.
3. Add hops at 60, 10, and 5 minutes.
4. Add candi at 10 minutes.
5. Add ginger at flame out.
6. Cool, pitch, rack, etc.

Took forEVER to finish. Saison yeast likes it hot, so keep it as warm as possible. It ended up giving up way too early, and I had to adjust the bitterness with an additional hop tea at the end of fermentation.

I just made this - very tasty. However, I didn't get enough of the ginger through.

I just made this - very tasty. However, I didn't get enough of the ginger through.

Agreed, the ginger was mild. You could easily increase it by 50% or more and have something more "extreme". I was brewing it for a party, so I'll count myself lucky it was subtle.

Oh weird. I just googled recipes on this today after seeing an episode of the Victoria Farm where one of the archaeologists, after messing up the hay harvest, made ginger beer from a Victorian recipe in less than sanitary conditions.

I didn't note down the recipe but this seems close enough:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wine/msg121345349020.html

I'm going to try this out tomorrow, maybe. On the show the beverage was ready in a week. In the absence of any other information, I'm going to treat it like turbo cider and wait till it stops fermenting then bottle condition.

I might try this as well at some point in the future, but I'm reluctant to introduce spoilage beasties to my brewery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A634664

It would seem that traditional alcoholic ginger beer was made with yeast and lactobacilus. Weird. I'll report back here when it's done.

Back