WLP644 -Brett B Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Platypotamus - No need to cold crash unless you are wanting to keg your beer. And then it is very helpful because the Brett is difficult to clarify. I don't think these beers really need to be clear, but some like it that way.

Platypotamus - No need to cold crash unless you are wanting to keg your beer. And then it is very helpful because the Brett is difficult to clarify. I don't think these beers really need to be clear, but some like it that way.

I used some irish moss in the kettle and that might have contributed to the clarity, but after 6 weeks mine was very bright. The yeast fell out of suspension and only left the foamy/cake-like icebergs floating on the top. I bottled all of mine (thick 750ml glass) and you can see daylight clearly through it. So, give it time and it should clear up on it's own (or at least it did in my case).

I'm really, really loving this yeast. I need to go back and re-read this whole thread, but I think my first Trois beer turned out much like everyone else's experience: super intensely fruity and tropical. I've never smelled or tasted anything else quite like it.

Just put up a full write-up of my 100% Trois White IPA on my blog, if anyone wants to read more about my experience: bear-flavored.com/2012/11/bear-flavored-100-brett-trois-white-ipa.html

Also, in response to what people are saying above about the clarity: my Trois IPA is the clearest beer I've brewed to date (bottled), and I didn't even cold crash or secondary it. Brett is slow to floc after fermentation in primary, but once you bottle it and it's under pressure, it drops HARD. I remember Chad Yakobson saying something about this in a podcast, but I'm astonished to see the results. If I'm careful with my pour and avoid the dregs at the bottom, my beer looks as clear as any commercially filtered beer. And I didn't do anything special to clarify it, other than some Irish Moss.

bogwart & Almighty - thanks for the input. the sample I took over the weekend was already pretty bright and clear, so I'm just going to go ahead and bottle it up.

Ez6nj.jpg

othellomcbane said:
Just put up a full write-up of my 100% Trois White IPA on my blog, if anyone wants to read more about my experience: bear-flavored.com/2012/11/bear-flavored-100-brett-trois-white-ipa.html
This looks like a nice easy and fun one. I think I'm going to have to try it. Next time you'd cut back on the IBU's?

Edited to add:
Your hop schedule doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I don't understand the notation. It says:
Hop Schedule-
55 IBU
0.4 oz Zythos @FWH
0.5 oz Galaxy @12 - 5 min
0.6 oz Zythos @12 - 5 min
0.5 oz Galaxy @12 - 5 min
2 oz Citra Dry Hop 7 days
1 oz Zythos Dry Hop 7 days
What's the "@12 - 5 min", and why is galaxy listed twice?

Just prepped a 2L starter to revive my salvaged yeast from this summer's 2 brews. Next weekend I'm planning a Amarillo pale ale with it. I haven't fully decided the grist yet, but likely same as my first Countdown Blond: 4/3/2/1 of Pils/Vienna/Munich/Wheat + 1 pound of flaked oats as a Brett treat.

Just curious, how are people building up their starters? I managed to procure a vial that was about 3 weeks before its "expiration" date. I made a 2l starter, no stirplate, about a week ago, and it looks like most of the yeast has flocc'd out, though it's still hazy. Should I let the Brett work some more before I cold crash, decant, and build it up with another 2l of wort, or is ~1 week enough? The smells from this starter are beautifully fruity...I've never actually enjoyed the smell from a starter!

I have some Trois that I was getting ready to grow up into starter. I could easily harvest some out of that. I will confess to never having shipped yeast before, but I would kill someone to get my hands on some bugfarm...

When I made my first starter, there was very active growth in the first 2-3 days, then it sat idle. The Brett does have a second fermentation phase around a week, but I doubt much if any growth happens there. So I'll cold crash it anytime after the initial torrent subsides.

I agree. It's the best starter aroma and taste I've ever had.

This looks like a nice easy and fun one. I think I'm going to have to try it. Next time you'd cut back on the IBU's?

Edited to add:
Your hop schedule doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I don't understand the notation. It says:

What's the "@12 - 5 min", and why is galaxy listed twice?

Sorry, listing Galaxy twice like that was a screw-up on my part. Mis-typed my notes, thanks for catching it and letting me know.

The @12 - 5 min thing just means that I'm adding that amount of hops incrementally between 12 minutes and 5 minutes... rather than, say, exactly 0.5 oz at 12 minutes and 0.5 at 5 minutes. Basically the same logic as the Dogfish 60 Minute technique, except I do it concentrated over the time period where I'll get the most flavor and aroma. So I just add a little bit of hops every minute, rather than trying to get super precise with my measurements. At that stage on the boil, I'm not really concerned with the minor IBU variations, anyway.

So while at the grocery store today I saw prickly pears. I picked up four to use in 3 gal of my 100% trois saison. It is now a vibrant pink/magenta color. I also took a gravity sample of the non-fruited version and it's down to about 1.002. It's nice and dry and has a spicy hop character mixed with ripe tropical fruits. I'm very pleased.

So while at the grocery store today I saw prickly pears. I picked up four to use in 3 gal of my 100% trois saison. It is now a vibrant pink/magenta color. I also took a gravity sample of the non-fruited version and it's down to about 1.002. It's nice and dry and has a spicy hop character mixed with ripe tropical fruits. I'm very pleased.

How do you like the Trois Saison? Is it something you've made before? I plan on brewing up a Saison using this yeast, and I'm curious about the final product....

What does your grain bill look like?

smokinghole said:

This sounds awesome, I'm going to try it with my next Trois batch.

I have a Trois Saison in bottles right now and it's awesome, so unique. It's a citrus and tropical fruit bomb. I'll post a full review in a few days but I'm in love with this strain.

I like the saison version with trois. I like my normal sacch/brett blended saison more but it's a nice change of pace. This is my first 100% brett beer.

The grist was:
82.2% Pils
6.5% Flaked Oats
6.5% Vienna
4.7% Rye Malt

My hops were Ultra, Crystal and Serebrianka.

I too, sort of brewed a saison with the trois. It was pretty much Chad Yakobson's 100% Brett Farmhouse recipe from Zymurgy. 6 lbs two row, 2.25 Munich, and 2.5 lbs split between oats, wheat, spelt, and rye. Hopped in the kettle with small amounts of Columbus and Nelson Sauvin. Didn't aerate after transferring to the fermenter. Brewed on 9/16, it is currently being dry-hopped with an oz of some fresh Amarillo. So far mine is incredibly tropical fruity with a nice mouthfeel. Maybe a little tartness? Gravity went all the way down to 1.006. Planning on doing an American Wheat style next with it.

I too, sort of brewed a saison with the trois. It was pretty much Chad Yakobson's 100% Brett Farmhouse recipe from Zymurgy. 6 lbs two row, 2.25 Munich, and 2.5 lbs split between oats, wheat, spelt, and rye. Hopped in the kettle with small amounts of Columbus and Nelson Sauvin. Didn't aerate after transferring to the fermenter. Brewed on 9/16, it is currently being dry-hopped with an oz of some fresh Amarillo. So far mine is incredibly tropical fruity with a nice mouthfeel. Maybe a little tartness? Gravity went all the way down to 1.006. Planning on doing an American Wheat style next with it.

Interesting! Did you have to do anything special with the mash with all of those umalted grains? Also, just US 2 row, or did you go with Belgian? I'm all for "authenticity," but that 90 minute boil can get tiresome...

Nope, just did a single infusion at 154. I should note it was malted wheat, rye, and oats. The spelt was flaked. Not really worried about clarity on a beer like this. Also, just used domestic 2-row.

Holy crap! I finally got around to brewing my all-brett RIS yesterday. I pitched at about 6:45 last night (1.094 OG) and this is what I woke up to this morning.

photo.jpg

I've never seen brett look like this (like sacc) but, then again, I've never done an all-brett beer or pitched anywhere near this much brett (made a 2000ml starter with one tube of brett b. trois and one tube of brett c. and stepped it up twice).

You might want to put some Fermcap in there or use a blow-off. With 1.094 starting gravity you will probably get a pretty violent fermentation.

I am looking to get a bit of WLP644. If anyone has some, I would be glad to compensate you for the trouble. Or, if anyone knows of a store selling it. Unfortunately, I seem to be a bit late in the season.

As with all my brews, Fermcap-s in and blowoff tube attached from the very beginning (you can't see the top of the carboy in the pic but the blowoff is there).

I'm only a week out from bottling, I'm eager to try the beer but I am going to wait no less than 2.5 weeks. Im interested to hear others experiences but I cant imagine it takes longer than a normal Sacch beer.

Didnt take any longer to carb than sach. After 3 weeks i wasnt crazy about my beer, but its really getting good now after 6 weeks or so. the brett really does floc under pressure. Mine is progressively getting really peachy and slightly more tart.

I agree that the carbonation time is no different than Sacc times. And these beers change pretty considerably in the first few months.

smokinghole said:
I think a have a whole unused tube. I would happily grow it up a bit and split the cultured up yeast with ya.

I don't have any Trois, but I would be willing to pay for a slant or a small vile of bug farm.

nofootbreak said:
Didnt take any longer to carb than sach. After 3 weeks i wasnt crazy about my beer, but its really getting good now after 6 weeks or so. the brett really does floc under pressure. Mine is progressively getting really peachy and slightly more tart.

This had been my experience as well, although I thoroughly enjoyed mine at 3 weeks when the hop character was fresh. Mine's now approaching 5 months old and I'm getting some slight lemony sourness that either wasn't there before or was hidden by the hops. Dropped crystal clear quickly and has been a delicious beer all the way through.

Main brew in Hillsboro, OR has trois. Just ordered a tube and crossing my fingers they don't call me in the morning and tell me it's sold out. Just noticed they have some Nelson pellets, hopefully I can call them early tomorrow and add that to my order before it is packed up.

FYI,

We got some old vials a few weeks ago, dated 11/4. White Labs uses 6 months for expiration on Brett vials vs. 4 months for sacch. On 10/22, we put 2 vials into a 240 mL 1.040 starter on a stir plate for 8 days and counted 104 Billion cells. We took out 16 Billion to bottle condition a Saison which left us with 88 Billion cells. Added some more 1.040 wort to the flask up to 550mL which should have made a 1.025 combined wort. Let that go for 8 days and counted 237 Billion cells.

Just wanted you all to see how this yeast propagates. It's much more efficient than sacch.

Main brew in Hillsboro, OR has trois. Just ordered a tube and crossing my fingers they don't call me in the morning and tell me it's sold out. Just noticed they have some Nelson pellets, hopefully I can call them early tomorrow and add that to my order before it is packed up.

Fantastic. Thanks for the tip. Put an order in today. They said ice packs are included at no extra charge. Good price on some 2011 Simcoe and Amarillo whole cone too.

So, brewed tues evening and the kreusen has dropped today. Fermentation is still going but very slowly. It took my RIS from 1.094-1.034 in 2 1/2 days-pretty good. I'm hoping it'll finish somewhere between 1.025 and 1.030 but if it gets a little drier it won't be the end of the world (just hope it doesn't dry out too much)

It smells great but I'm not getting as much fruitiness as I would have expected. I was under the impression that the fruitiness is there from the start. Of course, I may have over-pitched causing it to go extra clean. We'll see-can't wait.

The fruitiness will come, my Saison was pretty clean at 2 weeks but once I bottled at 5-6 weeks it was very tropical.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I checked a bottle after two weeks (i know...too early) and it had taken on a cidery quality like it had been brewed with a large amount of simple sugar. I hadn't noticed that at all before it went into the bottle and I'm hoping it will disappear with time.

Back