My 1 bbl. system build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So maybe I took a little longer away then planned. But back on the project. I am installing a spa panel on the side of the power distribution panel. Also relocated the filters to the rear of the frame to free up space for the electrical conduit. The 1-1/2"T/C ferrules have been ordered for the vessels. I'll post the welding pictures as I proceed.

2012-09-16_20-14-43_252.jpg

Just saw this. Build looks great. Not too unlike my 2bbl electric build. Sending my second brew through the system next Saturday. I won't thread jack, but if you need any help or pictures, let me know!

Good luck!

Saved up the "pennies" over the winter and just got some new goodies to continue the build. Will be mocking up the pumps and installing the pump supports. Still have some welding on the BK

2013-04-06_21-38-56_887.jpg

I'm just now seeing this thread, so I'm a little late to the party, but I think I speak for all of us when I say... DAMMMMMMN!

I would give thoughts and advice.. but it occurred to me that I'm a total noob compared to a lot of people on here, when it comes to that size system :mug:

Installed the connector from the spa panel to the power distrubition box. Began the wiring of the terminal block to the breakers and fuse holders.

2013-04-29_16-39-50_430.jpg

2013-04-29_16-39-12_316.jpg

The back-ordered fittings finally arrived. Couldn't resist setting up the valves and hose barbs on the Chugger pump. I'm thinking I might put the pumps on pullout trays. This should provide easy access to valve operation and hose connections.

ForumRunner_20130502_205032.png

Showing the cool plate on the inside and the completed weld.

Can you show this exact shot with the copper plate removed? I'm just wondering how the inside surface looks after being welded with that plate instead of being backpurged.

Thanks!

59761d1335925214-my-1-bbl-system-build-2012-05-01_20-36-45_631.jpg

The back-ordered fittings finally arrived. Couldn't resist setting up the valves and hose barbs on the Chugger pump. I'm thinking I might put the pumps on pullout trays. This should provide easy access to valve operation and hose connections.

View attachment 119568

I have read in other posts that it is not a great idea to have a 90 degree bend to close to the outlet of the pumps (cavitation issues). You may find you will need an extension before the 3 way valve to get it farther away from the outlet. YMMV.

Because the pump outlet is 1/2" and the valve is 1" the 90 degree bend is probably the lesser restriction. The same is also likely for the inlet as that is 3/4" but I'll watch the pump operation when I start running water tests. Thank for the input and interest.
Doug

Have you done anything else with this? I am mainly wondering how well the 2 5500W elements were able to boil and what the max volume you have boiled in it was.

Have you done anything else with this? I am mainly wondering how well the 2 5500W elements were able to boil and what the max volume you have boiled in it was.

They should do just fine, I have 2 5500w elements in my 58 gallon kettle. We've done 50 gallon boils w no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back