Possible fermentation problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evans5150

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently fermenting my 4th batch of extract brew ever. It is a stronger Pale Ale. It fermented for 7 days at around 72-75 degrees. I dry-hopped it after 5 days. It has been sitting at temps between 75-80 for the past 9 days. I forgot to buy bottle caps and the store isn't open until Tuesday (3 more days from now.) Will my batch be ruined??

Thanks,

evans5150

I have no way to "lager" it after the one week has passed by of fermenting. That's my biggest problem during the spring/summers here in Reno. It is about 84 degrees during the day and 78-80 in the house. Will it help if I try the T-shirt trick (wicking water through a T-shirt around the bucket) for the next 3 days to try to keep the temp down? Thanks...sorry I sound frantic...I don't want 50 bottles of beer to go to waste.

If you can put your fermenter in a bucket, and wrap it with a t-shirt, and blow a fan at it, you can gain 8 to 10 degrees. Reno is somewhat dry this time of year, so the wet shirt will work just fine.

steve

I tried the T-shirt/wicking trick and it seems to be working. I woke up this morning and the house is at 74 degrees. My bucket is at 70 degrees. I should have done this about a week ago.

If you have a spare bath tub, I usually fill it part way up and let the buckets sit in that for their fermentation, and clearing stages. Water takes longer to heat up, so when the temps go up in the day you only see a few degree variation. The same holds true for when it cools down at night. The water loses heat slower, and therefore keeps a decent temp range. If you don't have a spare tub, you can always try something big enough to hold your bucket and some water.

Back