Question on contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dkidwell83

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch yesterday. Everything went extremely smooth did my transfer to the Ale Pale, capped it and put the air lock in place. Before I went to bed it was starting to bubble ( Yeah!) and of course like a kid on Christmas I ran to check it when I woke up this morning. The airlock had clogged with foam overnight and blew the lid off my ale pale. What can i do to ensure my brew is still good, why did this happen, and should move to carboys. I remedied the problem thus far by sticking the siphon hose in the lid and the other end of it in a big bowl of sanitizing solution, but because of the beer on the lip of the pale it's not sealing strong enough to make all the gases come out the tube. Some are escaping form the lid. what can I do?:(

At this point, it sounds like you did everything you needed to.

You might consider quickly removing the lid and cleaning and sanitizing it and putting it right back on.

The good news is you have nothing to worry about. That vigorous fermentation is producing a ton of CO2 that is blowing off your beer and keeping any of the nasties away. You're going to be fine!

would it be wise/possible/neccassary to reboil the wort and pitch another batch of yeast.

Dkidwell83 said:
would it be wise/possible/neccassary to reboil the wort and pitch another batch of yeast.

No, not necessary, possible though.

in the future though use a blowoff tube. thats all i use now cause my airlock was always blowing off, but i have never had any problems with infection due to the airlock blowing off. don't worry about it.

Back