Grain Bill question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateSpringfield

Reaction score
I experimented w/ my first "home made" recipe with a Red Wheat in a gallon batch, and it came out great. Now to do a 5.5 gallon batch I was just going to increase everything by 5 on the grain bill, but that puts me at 15 lbs. of grain.

Am I thinking right about just multiplying, or is there some other sort of method I should use to find the size for a 5 gallon batch. This is not my first time making a 5 gallon all-grain batch, but first time I haven't used a kit to do so, and 15 lbs is easily the heaviest/largest grain bill I will have ever used.

Just opinions would help, or if anyone has ever gone from a 1 to a 5 gallon batch I'd appreciate the help.

When you say increase do you mean "multiply"?

Did you use 3 lbs of grain in your 1 gallon batch? That would be you at an OG of 1.081 with 100% 2-row, and 3 x 5 = 15...

What was your original recipe? I would multiply that, just as you did. Is the first beer that strong, or was your efficiency not so great?

More brewing and process details please.

the best way to do this is to download some beer brewing software and use the scale function. for grains it's basically multiplication (afiak) but hops gets a little trickier. it will also let you do all sorts of substitutions, build you a shopping list, let you inventory/categorize your recipes, build you a brew sheet, calculate for losses to trub/deadspace... basically everything but brew the beer for you.

i <3 beersmith, but there are other ones out there (beer tools pro, etc)

I used beersmith to come up with this original recipe when I did the gallon batch on the 21 day trial. I guess I should just purchase the software and do it the right way. W/out grabbing my book, here is the recipe for the 1 gallon batch...

Mash at 155 degrees for 50 minutes
1.5 lb of Torrified Wheat
1.0 lb of Brewers 2-row
0.5 lb of Crystal 40L

Boil
.50 oz hallertau 60 min
.25 oz hallertau 15 min
.25 oz hallertau and AHB American Wheat Spice pack 5 min

Fermentis WB-06

Back