Watch those fermentation temps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkeydude

Reaction score
I put down ten gallons of brew yesterday. 5 Honey Amber Ale and 5 Bass Ale Clone.
I stuck both fermenters in my still unfinished Keezer (using it as a fermentation chamber because of the heat here) and decided to just let it sit with the unit unplugged since it has been so cool and expected lows were in the low 40's for a couple of nights.
The Keezer was at 65 degrees when I put them in but, when I checked it this morning, it was 80! Holy Esters!!
I had no idea how much heat fermenting generated until this morning.
I fanned it down to 70 and plugged the regulator back in. It has been holding between 67 & 70.
A huge surprise and learning lesson as well.

Holy Esters is right, and fussels too! You may want to leave those beers on the cake for a bit longer than originally planned in hopes the yeast will clean up most of that stuff before racking.
A little extra conditioning and you will probably be fine.

Thanks for the tip. I am planning just that. I have found that 5 weeks isn't too long for primary in most cases. At least I haven't had any problems with the last 4 batches. They were only in those temps for about 8 hours so, hopefully it will just have a little banana edge to it which is o.k. for these two beers.

Just trying to help my fellow man reduce his waste footprint. You don't want all that polluting your water system.

Ahhhh, always trying to "cornhole"...errr, I mean "help out" your fellow brewer, huh? Tell you what, send me half and I won't tell him you are trying to screw him over.
Ummm, I didn't say that out loud did I? Hey, who is the moron that left this thing on speakerphone?!?! :mad:

Ahhhh, always trying to "cornhole"...errr, I mean "help out" your fellow brewer, huh? Tell you what, send me half and I won't tell him you are trying to screw him over.
Ummm, I didn't say that out loud did I? Hey, who is the moron that left this thing on speakerphone?!?! :mad:

ALWAYS preview before you click submit. Great, now you've screwed both of us out of free beer.

ALWAYS preview before you click submit. Great, now you've screwed both of us out of free beer.

DANG!
bangwall.gif

Back