Water Filtration System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a regular garden hose? I was getting horrible off tastes from my garden hose. Went to a potable water hose.

Actually that hose in the video is not a potable water hose. I did, however, change the hose to a potable water/drinking water hose before using the system. This theoretically shouldn't matter (I don't think, I could be wrong) since it is eventually filtered but I figured why risk a water screw up over something so simple as the hose. So-- yep, we've got a good potable water hose now. :mug:

If all you are worried about is chlorine and chloramines, any activated carbon or charcoal filter should work.
Lowe's sells a two pack 1 micron charcoal filter cartridge for less than $20. Compare the specs to your filter to be sure. Might save you some $$$.

I installed a charcoal filter on my brew stand for my water needs. It works great for taking out chlorine.

The worry about the regular garden hoses is that lead is used as a stabilizer in the PVC they are made of. You can get the more expensive filters that take out lead but they are more expensive than just getting a lead free hose.

Been using it for a year now and love it.

If all you are worried about is chlorine and chloramines, any activated carbon or charcoal filter should work.
Lowe's sells a two pack 1 micron charcoal filter cartridge for less than $20. Compare the specs to your filter to be sure. Might save you some $$$.

I did a little research on the 10" filters and it seemed the spike in the price was the adding of the removal of chloramines. They all will remove chlorine but it seems you need a more specialized filter to deal with chloramines. I will definitely check out the 2 pack at lowes though. That would be half price for me.

I installed a charcoal filter on my brew stand for my water needs. It works great for taking out chlorine.

The worry about the regular garden hoses is that lead is used as a stabilizer in the PVC they are made of. You can get the more expensive filters that take out lead but they are more expensive than just getting a lead free hose.

Been using it for a year now and love it.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I just had a bad feeling about the regular hose. I'm glad I never used it. I got a 50' potable/drinking water hose for $14 bucks.

Back