Newbie question: Can I use a 50L keg to home brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj3000

Reaction score
I have a setup for dispensing brewery kegs (50 litre) - I think in America they are referred to as Full Barrell(??). My setup involves a CO2 bottle, a regulator, a US Sankey connector and a dispensing gun.

After a couple keg parties, I also have 2 empty kegs lying around and I was wondering if I could use them to home brew, or if I will need to purchase the more slender ones? I imagine it has been tried, it is possible?

Any info would be great.

I'm not quite sure what kind of keg you mean but the ~15 gallon (~50L) 1/2 barrel kegs are ideal for brewing. They are about 16" in diameter if i remember. Just be sure to get cookers that are big and beefy enough to hold them securly. We eventually found some really perfect one for those kegs...i'll see if i can remember where. The only real limitation is the diameter of the kegs so they can fit on some sort of burner. 15 gallon kegs are perfect for 10-12 gallon batches.

Back