Blow off tube set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryiman

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures for a blow off tube set up for the buckets and not the carboys? Thanks

Here's mine.

IMG_2086.jpg

I used 1 1/4 inch outside diameter, 1 inch inside diameter hose.

That's the whitest krausen I've ever seen, looks like soap.

I have never used a blowoff before...always just use an airlock....however, brewing a Hefeweizen this weekend and think I should be using blowoff for that.

Now hwre is my question:

Doesn't the used of the airlock defeat the purpose of the blowoff tube since you still restrict the flow area for blowoff to the size of the airlock tube that goes thru grommet on bucket lid?

I was planning on using a carboy with a 1.25" hose, etc....but I do like the idea of the bucket just becaus eof the extra headspace and it doesnt let light in...etc...

Not really,no. The airlock has a s curve in it or the center piece restricting outward flow of gasses. The blow off tube/rig has non of this. I cut the straight end off an old "S" type airlock & stuck it in one end of a 3/8" tube. Maybe 2'-2.5' long. The other end into a half gallon plastic vodka jug 1/3 full of water & a goodly splash of starsan. Sorry I never got around to pics of it. No extra foam from the starsan this way when your rendition of machine gun starts up. When you see the yeast acting like a rabid band of gypsies,you'll know what to do.

898D09CE-C180-4905-BEEE-876D9738A3EB-5677-0000054B8FF8ABE1.jpg

I cut the bottom "x" piece off the airlock. The bucket is star San

Back