Do you blanch shelled peas for freezing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flars

Reaction score
We are starting the pea harvest from the garden. Is it necessary to blanch the peas in a boiling water before freezing. We would prefer not cook out flavors if it isn't necessary to blanch. The peas will be vacuum packed with a FoodSaver.

Have found conflicting information on the subject. What do you do?

We like to blanch veggies before freezing to preserve their color & flavor. But this is a very brief process, like a minute or so, then into an ice water bath to halt the cooking. drain, package & freeze.

We like to blanch veggies before freezing to preserve their color & flavor. But this is a very brief process, like a minute or so, then into an ice water bath to halt the cooking. drain, package & freeze.

That is what I did after freezing two packages, one of each variety, to find out how they will taste in three months or so.

Used a grain bag to blanch the remaining peas picked that morning. Bag made it easy to get all the peas out at the same time and into ice water.

I don't know about sweet peas. I never blanch or even wash the field peas before freezing. That way they stay loose in the bag. Then I wash the day I cook them. Also, they're weird in that they never seem to get freezer burn.

Back