MLT combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPS

Reaction score
Mash vessel. lautering system and the type of sparging you do all seem to have a combo that work best. Like a rectangular cooler with a braided stainless hose for batch sparging.

Whats the best set up for fly sparging?
What is need for a decoction mash?
Where would a copper manifold work best?

I'm asking because I have a 48 qt Ice Cube cooler I'd like to convert to my MLT. I'll probably start out batch sparging, but would eventually like to try decoction mashing. Would copper pipe work for this?

ALPS said:
Whats the best set up for fly sparging?
What is need for a decoction mash?
Where would a copper manifold work best?

the best set-up for fly sparging IMHO is to have a gravity fed system, with a HLT, then a MLT, then the boil kettle. but, you can do it without the 3-tier set up. you can just heat water in a pot, and laddle it into the cooler MLT and close the lid after each addition of sparge liquor. just more labor involved.

traditionaly a decoction was used due to the poorer grade of malts (under modified) available to brewers back in the day. it helpes convert the starches in the grain more effectivly. but, with todays grains being fully modified, most all styles of brews can be brewed doing a single infusion, or step infusion mash. some still do it today to achieve the true malty character of some German, Belgian,and even Scotish ales. it's hard to get that flavor from a single infusion mash (IMHO).

a copper manifold can work fine in the MLT. many of the members on the forum have built their own and have had great success with them.

DeRoux's Broux said:
the best set-up for fly sparging IMHO is to have a gravity fed system, with a HLT, then a MLT, then the boil kettle. but, you can do it without the 3-tier set up. you can just heat water in a pot, and laddle it into the cooler MLT and close the lid after each addition of sparge liquor. just more labor involved.

a copper manifold can work fine in the MLT. many of the members on the forum have built their own and have had great success with them.
That's my setup, all the way. I have a single 5 gallon cooler that I use for my MLT. I have a copper manifold that is about 8 inches square in the bottom. I just heat up the sparge water in a pot and slowly pour it in, usually with a pyrex measuring cup, about a quart at a time. Check out my gallery. I think there's a picture in there.

brewsmith said:
That's my setup, all the way. I have a single 5 gallon cooler that I use for my MLT. I have a copper manifold that is about 8 inches square in the bottom. I just heat up the sparge water in a pot and slowly pour it in, usually with a pyrex measuring cup, about a quart at a time. Check out my gallery. I think there's a picture in there.

dude, i'm digg'n the tuba and beer!:D :cool: that's a riot!

nice job on the cooler conversion too.

Back