How much vanilla for blonde ale (5gal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EROK

Reaction score
How much vanilla extract should I add to get a mild vanilla flavor in my kegged blonde ale?

I could add then taste....repeat....but I might be out of beer soon that way.

How much would those of you that have added vanilla suggest I use for this?

I did a Vanilla Cream Ale - used Vanilla beans instead of extract. Only used 2 in the boil (cut them open, scrape the inner contents of the vanilla bean, and add that to the boil)

Had a nice hint of Vanilla. We just re-did the recipe, but as a 10 gallon batch, and since the ladies loved it we added 1 bean per batch (so 6 total for the 10 gallons)

So..no idea on the extract. But if you can get a real vanilla bean, that is my experience. Tried the updated recipe after 1 week of fermenting - so warm and not carbed, but it tasted good, not overpowering yet by the vanilla, but more prominent.

The last time I used liquid vanilla extract, I added 2 oz to 5 gallons, and I thought this was too much. This was for a Vanilla Stout I did in mid-March, so the stout body probably masked more of it than your Blonde will. I'd start with about 1-1.5 oz if I were you.

However, you must know that I just had a bottle last night, and after 4 months, the vanilla has FINALLY mellowed out and balanced in the beer, and it is only just now what I envisioned (taste-visioned?) when I made it. Too bad I only have about 12 of these left at this point.

So, 1-1.5 ounces if you want it to be good in the short term, but go ahead and go for the full 2 ounces if you can wait a few months for it to balance into the beer.

Good luck!

Back