It was bound to happen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So the SWMBO and I were brewing this evening, an ESB along with our 2yr old son. We basically take turns looking after him. When it came time to cool the wort, we added the necessary amount of ice, dropping a couple of cubes on the floor of our patio (where the turkey fryer is). As we're pouring the cooled wort into the bucket, our wonderful son decides that we missed a piece of ice, picks it up from the floor and proceeds to throw it in the bucket. You should know that he can't throw anything with any sort of deliberate direction, yet somehow he managed to make it right in the middle of the bucket. We'll see how the whole thing turns out. I'm hoping the fact that I did a big 2qt starter will overtake any bacteria that might have been "inadvertently" introduced. All you parents of little ones, take note.

I wouldn't worry about it. If we can believe the science behind "The Mythbusters" it takes quite a bit to really pick up a substantial amount of bugs on anything on the floor. They had to acutally rub the petri dishes on the floor before they could get anything to cultivate. So have faith.

The 5 seconds rule, rules!

John

Nwcw2001 said:
I wouldn't worry about it. If we can believe the science behind "The Mythbusters" it takes quite a bit to really pick up a substantial amount of bugs on anything on the floor. They had to acutally rub the petri dishes on the floor before they could get anything to cultivate. So have faith.

The 5 seconds rule, rules!

John

Ha! I remember that episode actually! That's what I'm hoping for!

Since you havent added the yeast yet, whos to say you cant add another 1/2gal or so of water and bring it back to boil to kill anything off??

I think he was saying to add the 1/2 gal then boil the entire batch. The half gallon would make up for the evaporation.

Leave it. Nothing like putting some local flavor in your beer! Imagine if the Belgians had been sticklers about fermentation and protected their wort from wild yeast.

This is just mostly a guess, but I suspect that it's actually much harder to infect a bathc of beer than we tend to assume.

cweston said:
This is just mostly a guess, but I suspect that it's actually much harder to infect a bathc of beer than we tend to assume.

shhhh.....

dont let that get out

I decided not to sweat it. The lag time was less than 3 hours anyway because of the big starter that was at very high activity when I pitched. It's been less than 12 hours and I already have a 4 inch kreusen. I just got to remember next time to keep my boy at a distance when it comes to cool wort. Who knows what he might throw in next time!

I would be more worried about the bag of ice you threw into the wort more then the single peice your kid threw in....

Back