India Red Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

englebrau9

Reaction score
I have been editing a red ale recipe that I tried earlier this year. This is what I have come up with so far. Tell me what you think. Based upon how it looks on paper I could probably consider it an india red ale...

Grain:
9 lbs. US 2 row
2 lbs. Vienna malt
0.25 lbs. crystal 20
0.25 lbs. crystal 40
0.25 lbs. crystal 60
0.25 lbs. crystal 80
0.65 lbs. flaked barley
1 oz. roasted barley

OG @ 75% efficiency 1.069
FG 1.018= 6.7% ABV

Hops:
(FWH) 0.5 oz Cascade 8.7%AA
(60) 1 oz. Nugget 13%AA
(30) 0.5 oz. Amarillo 8%AA, 0.5 oz. Cascade 8.7%AA
(10) 0.5 oz. Amarillo, 0.5 oz. Cascade
(5) 0.25 oz. Amarillo, 0.25 oz. Cascade
(0) 0.25 oz. Amarillo, 0.25 oz. Cascade
(Dry hop) 0.5 oz. Amarillo, 1 oz. Cascade

70ish IBU

Yeast:
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

*Mash at 152@ 1.25 qts/lb.
*Mashout to 170
*Fly sparge until 7 gallons wort collected for boil

You might want to keep the RB out until you get a look at the color during vorlauf. Have a few ounces crushed so you can dial it in.

Why not crank up all those quarter-ounce adds up to halfs? Yeah, we left coasters like to hit everything with the hop stick, as Ray Daniels puts it.

I like the hops schedule as is, but will agree with the notion of keeping the roasted barley in reserve until needed. If the sweet wort color at vorlauf is where you want it, cool. If it's a little light, sprinkle the RB over the mash before beginning your sparge.

You're looking at ~11SRM in 5 gallons without the RB, ~13 with, according to ProMash.

Good luck!

Bob

Latest posts

Back