Cold crash question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotMOAB

Reaction score
What is the proper procedure for botteling after cold crashing? I have herd let it come back to room temp then bottle but I also herd to do it cold so??? Any help would be great thanks

I bottle while the beer is still cold, so that the sediment that drops out remains out of suspension. If you let it warm up, some of the solids that drop out will return to solution, which defeats the purpose of cold crashing IMO.

I am new at this, so let me get this straight. In order to do a cold crash you need to cool down the beer before bottling. And this precipitates other solids that are hanging out in the 'beer column'?

This equals clearer beer? Is this a suggested technique? Or just preference?

If you bottle cold, don't forget to adjust the ammount of priming sugar you add. I use the Nomograph from Palmers "How to Brew" found here:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

f65.gif

Figure 65- Nomograph for determining more precise amounts of priming sugar. To use the nomograph, draw a line from the temperature of your beer through the Volumes of CO2 that you want, to the scale for sugar. The intersection of your line and the sugar scale gives the weight of either corn or cane sugar in ounces to be added to five gallons of beer to achieve the desired carbonation level. Here is a list of typical volumes of CO2 for various beer styles:
British ales 1.5-2.0
Porter, Stout 1.7-2.3
Belgian ales 1.9-2.4
American ales 2.2-2.7
European lagers 2.2-2.7
Belgian Lambic 2.4-2.8
American wheat 2.7-3.3
German wheat 3.3-4.5

Back