Air lock blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Only_Funks

Reaction score
So I made my first batch last night and has it sitting for the wort to ferment in my carboy. I had been checking it throughout the day and before I had left for work I noticed the foam starting to rise close into the airlock. When I came home from work my family had told me they rubber stopper and air lock blew completely off the carboy and they had just stuck it right back on. I'm pretty sure the whole batch was compromised but I wanted to get some opinions on it. Does anyone think its salvageable or should I just throw it out and start over? Any feedback would be great!!

Never Throw It Out! There might be some risk from what the stopper came in contact with when it was off, but with that much of a violent fermentation, enough Co2 should have shielded the beer from most nastys.

yeah, dont throw it out, this happened to me and my beer came out kick-ass. Bottle it and see how it turns out

I still see some activity inside the carboy and Co2 is still blowing off the airlock so I haven't lost all hope. Only problem is that I don't know how long the airlock was off the carboy. Could be a couple minutes or it could have been an hour. I just hope nothing got in there there that would turn the batch to crap. =/

RDWHAHB, everything's going to be alright.... Just thing of some Bob Marley and relax.

Definitely keep!

I've just kegged a dark ale which when in the fermenenter i would have to go in around 3 times a day to stick the airlock top back on.

First time i couldn't even find the airlock for all the foam.

After about 3-4 days it stayed on itself, kegged it last night after around 1 and a half weeks fermenting and it looked fine.

JUst keep checking and sticking it back on if it has blown off, i think it will be fine although i'm by no means an expert.

Thanks for the advice guys! Fermentation has calmed down a lot since last night and I think everything is going to be ok. I'm going to bottle it probably sometime in the middle of the week and hopefully start a new brew soon after. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!! =)

Back