Palate/Taste Buds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
I am searching for someone in North Jersey to evaluate my brew. I have been brewing for a little over a year now and can't seem to pinpoint what I find unappealing in my ales. Is there someone out there in the Passaic County area/New Jersey, that can help with diagnoses with my brew? I interpret it as sweetness, or it can be off flavors from other factors.

North Jersey here. I'm a chef too ;)

I don't "have" to taste it to evaluate it though. Message me your recipe. The more exact, the better.

North Jersey here. I'm a chef too ;)

I don't "have" to taste it to evaluate it though. Message me your recipe. The more exact, the better.

Boil vol-4.5 gallons
Batch size- 3.5
7lbs Maris Otter
.25 lbs Carapilis
.25 lbs Crystal 10L
.25 lbs Golden Naked Oats
.5 oz Warrior 90 minutes
.5 oz warrior 30 minutes
Mash volume qts/lbs 1.66,
Mash temperature 149 for 60 minutes
Sparge temperature 180
Mash ph 5
OG 1.068
FG 1.012
Yeast 04
Fermentation Temperature 64-68 14 Days, 14 days @ room temperature in primary.
3oz corn sugar for carbonation

Corn starch for carbonation??? I think this is what you're doing wrong. You need to be using corn "sugar", regular sugar, or extract at this stage. Not "starch".

Sparge temp is also a bit hot. What kind of beer style is this? It looks sort of quasi-IPA and would benefit from a few late hop additions.

Is this a full volume boil with no top off water and an evaporation rate of only 1/2 gal? Just confirming.

Corn starch for carbonation??? I think this is what you're doing wrong. You need to be using corn "sugar", regular sugar, or extract at this stage. Not "starch".

Sparge temp is also a bit hot. What kind of beer style is this? It looks sort of quasi-IPA and would benefit from a few late hop additions.

Is this a full volume boil with no top off water and an evaporation rate of only 1/2 gal? Just confirming.

Made a type 0 with the corn starch, it is corn sugar, the boil size has been 4.5 gallons, and the style is none just winging it.

Water is fine, no off flavors.

Thats what I thought, untill I switched to RO water, BIG!!! differance try it and maybe leave out the crystal just to see if it is not the "caramel" tast that you pick up?

Ok, so style is not defined but what are you aiming for or what BMC do you like?

Just a few questions I have:
Why the quarter pound of Crystal, Carapils, and Oats? Just seems like the subtleties that each would give off in such small amounts are going to be competing with each other. I would recommend at least ditching the oats if you aren't diggin the sweetness.

For your hop schedule, why warrior and why 90 min? With such a crazy alpha acid content, I suggest 60 min warrior for bittering, and consider another hop around 15-10 min for some flavor and aroma.

I thought RO water lacked needed minerals, is it ok to use?

Ro water is fine. A bit more for the lighter side of the beer spectrum. but I have brewed with it on my last 5 batches with great results. I have also now started to ad calcium to see what happens. Most of the time the water in not devoid of minerals but just have very low levels.

When you say "Add calcium", which supplement do you recommend?
Gypsum?
Calcium Chloride?
Calcium Carbonate?

How much do you add?

When you say "Add calcium", which supplement do you recommend?
Gypsum?
Calcium Chloride?
Calcium Carbonate?

How much do you add?

well, some times all of them, it depends on what your going for, I went with this
I toke some Ca Carbonate and started of with 3 teaspoons full , but it raises the pH so I aslo used some home made acid malt. I am experimenting at this stage so dont know how it will turn out/ or what it will change? Only problem is its a lager and takes forever too.......well....lager?

Just a few questions I have:
Why the quarter pound of Crystal, Carapils, and Oats? Just seems like the subtleties that each would give off in such small amounts are going to be competing with each other. I would recommend at least ditching the oats if you aren't diggin the sweetness.

For your hop schedule, why warrior and why 90 min? With such a crazy alpha acid content, I suggest 60 min warrior for bittering, and consider another hop around 15-10 min for some flavor and aroma.

Getz, Thank's for the suggestions.

Back